Any thoughts on St Michael's test results date?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Any thoughts on St Michael's test results date?

Post by Daogroupie »

Perhaps for those that did not make it VR and Maths is a strength and Comprehension and/or NVR is a weakness. DG
read

Post by read »

Nic wrote:Results are in- got the letter this morning! My dd placed 21st for St Michael's, our first choice! We are over the moon. Good luck to all the other children.

A heartfelt thank you for all the contributors on this forum for all your help and support which has been invaluable.
BIG Congratulations to you and your dd :D
Nic

Post by Nic »

Thank you all for your well wishes and congratulations to the other DD's who have made it!

Just wanted to comment on the numbers taking the test- 421 seemed low to me as well. The difference is that this is the number that was invited to sit the test, not the number that applied.

St Michael's only invite children to sit the test who have satisfied the entry criteria, which includes a Certificate of Catholic practice. This was done very early on, around June I think. Hence they avoid the scenario of children sitting the test who have no chance of getting a place at the school.

I asked my dd about the difficulty level compared to Latymer, and she said she thought it was much harder, but she found the NVR easy. I take these things with a pinch of salt as several girls in her class came out saying they found it easy and they did not get scores anywhere close to the waiting list.

Six girls in her class sat both tests, she is the only one that got St M, a few did Round two of Latymer. I will report when we get the results. I think some children naturally do better in Maths, some in English, and depending on the content of the exam on the day, they perform according to their strengths.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you for your explanation of the process, it is very helpful.

I know 2 dds in the top ten this year. They both have just received marks in the 260's at SW Herts and got through to the second round of Latymer and HBS.

Many dds sitting will have sat other exams before sitting St M's which is a great preparation.

It will be interesting to see how far down the ranks St M's goes this year. Did it say in the letter what was the last rank to get in was this year? DG
llhj

Post by llhj »

137 last year but 117 two years before.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very interesting. Will it go down or up?

That is a big change in two years, what was it the year before that? DG
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

A lot of the girls only sit St M, preferring other non selective Catholic schools. Others, including my own DD, scored well enough to gain places at other selective schools in the area and chose St M for whatever reasons, and others chose other schools ahead of St M.

I would like to think that parents pick the closest school in the end but it doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately. Passing one outstanding selective school on the way to another is madness but all too frequent.
Nic

Post by Nic »

DG, here are the rankings for the last six years which was in the letter.

2012-13 126
2013-14 134
2014-15. 117
2015-16. 125
2016-17. 136
2017-18. 137

I think stamina plays an important role for St M as the girls are dropped off at 8.00 am and collected after 3.00 pm, all tests in the same day.

I don't think sitting the other exams per se say will give much more of an advantage than signing them up for Mocks, which is what we did. The mocks helped earlier on to show me where she stood in a bigger cohort, and more importantly where her strengths and weaknesses were, as they give you the questions she got wrong. Nic.
WaitingStM4077

Post by WaitingStM4077 »

Hi All,

New to this forum.
Congratulations to all those whose DD got in, you are so lucky.

I wanted to ask there was any on here, like me whose DD didn't get in but has a chance on the waiting list?
I wanted to say Hello to and that I'm not looking forward to March 1st and doing the dreaded wait.

StM Hopeful
llhj

Post by llhj »

Where is your dd on the waiting list?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now