Any thoughts on St Michael's test results date?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Any thoughts on St Michael's test results date?

Post by Daogroupie »

Congratulations to you all. Everyone I know at the school is very very happy there. DG
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Congratulations to you al! Is a great school, and week be even better in a couple of years with the new building planned. The new head seems dedicated, and has longstanding connections with the school can I ask how many sat the test this year? They usually give the total number of candidates with the ranking.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

This seems low for such a popular, high achieving school.

How does this number compare with previous years? DG
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Around the same number every year with the odd spike. The religious criteria are stringent even for many in Catholic primaries, and the school stresses the academic rigor at their speeches at open days, so really the pool becomes "top table" girls from schools all over London, mostly Catholic schools but also a small number from preps.
llhj

Post by llhj »

Very few from my dd's school managed to gain a place this year. Not sure of the reasons. We normally have 8 at least from 60 but this year only 4 and 2 were just within 120.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Interesting. Did perhaps some of the candidates that did better this year get a leg up in July by sitting Latymer and discovering weaknesses in VR and Maths which they then had plenty of time to fix before mid September? DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Is your primary school one with M as an initial?
llhj

Post by llhj »

Daogroupie wrote:Interesting. Did perhaps some of them get a leg up in July by sitting Latymer and discovering weaknesses in VR and Maths which they then had plenty of time to fix before mid September? DG
No, I think maybe you've misunderstood my post, my dd's school was less successful this year. I think it was tough. My dd said (not sure how reliable she is though!) that the VR was far more difficult at St M but that the maths was easier. She also said that the NVR was very pressured and fast. She found the text for the comprehension more accessible at Latymer but then she had read the book.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Sorry I was not clear enough.

What I meant was the reason some did better than others was because they had started preparing earlier and then sat Latymer and discovered shortcomings in VR and Maths in the test and had over eight weeks to fix them.

Did all the dds that applied from your school sit Latymer? DG
llhj

Post by llhj »

All did both and some who got through to second round have not passed St M. All these tests are tough imo.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now