QE 2017 results out now by email post results here

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

Re: QE 2017 results out now by email post results here

Post by loobylou »

maaress wrote:Hello All

My son has scored 117.30 in Reading Boys and 235 in QE Barnet. Can I safely say that he will get places in both schools?

Very confused as to which should be our first choice on CAF. We live in Reading catchment.

Is it worth moving to Barnet or should we stick with Reading?

I cannot find University destinations for Reading School. Looking at Barnet University destinations they are very impressive.

Any advice/thoughts will really be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
It's almost never worth moving purely for a school. There are a few genuine black holes where local provision is all poor - but if you have a good local alternative (and I know nothing personally about Reading Boys but it sounds as though it is an excellent local alternative) then I would not uproot a whole family for the sake of QEB.
maaress

Post by maaress »

Thanks Tinkers for your prompt reply.

We like both schools - the only thing is we visited Reading on an Open day vs QE Barnet on a working day. So QE felt a bit more traditionally set and disciplined whilst Reading felt more relaxed.

Totally confused!
piggys

Post by piggys »

Don't uproot just because your ds might get a place (and it's by no means a dead cert). Why go through the hassle? QE is not the be-all and end-all you know.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I don’t know either School well as such (I live in Reading and have a girl).
Unless QE offers something really important to you that Reading doesn’t, or you need to move, or you really don’t like Reading ( :lol: ) then there’s not really any difference between them tbh.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

These are different schools. It is not to due with working day versus open day.

Is the huge difference in house prices between Reading and Barnet not a factor to you? DG
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Daogroupie wrote:These are different schools. It is not to due with working day versus open day.

Is the huge difference in house prices between Reading and Barnet not a factor to you? DG
I have no idea about house prices in Barnet but it’s not exactly cheap in Reading either.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:I don’t know either School well as such (I live in Reading and have a girl).
Unless QE offers something really important to you that Reading doesn’t, or you need to move, or you really don’t like Reading ( :lol: ) then there’s not really any difference between them tbh.
QE is Topp.

That is the obvious difference when comparing it to any other school :lol: .

Obviously the (even) higher house prices and all the disruption of a house move are not the automatic deterrent that they would be to some of us.

Seriously, though, like (I hope most) others, my advice would be to stick with the excellent local grammar school. Unless one has other reasons for wanting to move away, of course.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
maaress

Post by maaress »

Yes we considered house prices and the upheaval of moving. But wanted to hear from the more experienced people and everyone who is in the same boat. It helps...

Thank you all :)
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

TBH, not many from Reading bother trying for QE, I don’t hear of many, even on here.
I have only heard on one in real life and he was using QE as back up in case he didn’t get Reading. Reading was always his preference.
maaress

Post by maaress »

Thanks Tinkers

Is there any place where we could find university destination information for Reading boys similar to the informative post for QE boys

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 71&t=52096" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now