HBS results are out please post here

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tiffinboys

Re: HBS results are out please post here

Post by tiffinboys »

thisisnuts wrote:
tiffinboys wrote:Upto 20 PP girls would have priority, but it is any one's guess if there were 20 such girls in the top 300. Only HBS admin can tell, if some one makes FOI request.
The stat on this website is 1.4% qualifying for school dinners

https://www.schoolguide.co.uk/schools/t ... den-suburb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This equates to 10-11 girls - so less than 2 per school year were getting in before the PP allocation.
If there were 20 PP in the top 300 in previous years, you'd expect 10 in the top 150, thus likely to be offered a place.

This implies that without a concerted effort by the school to help more PP qualify for the top 300, they wouldn't have had 20 PP to select.

You could submit an FOI, or just wait for the stats in the public domain to be updated.
That stats is for whole school, not for the cohort which passed entereance test last year. Only school can give information about number of PP children in that cohort.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

QE gives a total score plus five years worth of entrance scores. This enables parents to work out if their score is likely to gain a place.

Latymer gives ranking letters with the first letter 1-192 which guarantees a space if you apply and you are in catchment.

DAO gives you ranks, all three scores and total and three years worth of entrance scores in the letter and a further two on the website.

St M's gives rank and five years worth of entrance scores.

Why is HBS being allowed to get away with a Top Rank Band A which in fact does not give the information you require to decide how likely you are to get a place? They do not even tell you percentage of Band A's who got a place last year which would certainly help to make the decision.

Existing parents and prospective parents need to feed back to HBS that the Bands are just not working.

No parent in Rank A can possibly take the decision to move until they find out if they have a place on March 1st.

This leaves Y7 dds making stupid journeys to school because HBS did not release the required information.

It does not reveal anything about ranks, just data that prospective parents require.

HBS can stop the miserable commutes simply by providing the data that they have to the parents that need it.

Only send it to the top rank parents if that helps. But provide the data for goodness sake. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

HBS can stop the miserable journeys by simply bringing in a reasonable catchment. It is a small school and 10 km radius admission area would be more than enough.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

Daogroupie - agree 100%

A catchment would also help and be in line with the founder's aim to set up school for local girls.
miller

Post by miller »

Whilst I am in favour of a catchment for the School, based on distance, I don’t agree with the statement that this should be imposed to fit in with the ethos of the founders of the school ie for the school to be for only local girls. The original idea of the School serving the girls of local families, would not have envisaged the immediate area becoming one of quite extreme wealth with original workers cottages now being highly desirable (multi) million pound properties, only affordable to a tiny proportion of society. This exclusivity of education, actually contradicts the founding ethos.
llhj

Post by llhj »

If the school were in line with founder’s ethos, all places would be for pp pupils.
miller

Post by miller »

Yes, perhaps so. I hope that as many pp girls as possible do apply. Howrvet, I doubt they are living in the immediate locality. I do think that is important that these girls do apply. I think you are probably correct that it was these girls that the founders of the school were seeking to help.
Sunshine_girls

Post by Sunshine_girls »

soniab wrote:Do we need to complete any SIF form for HBS.
My daughter got BAND A results too.
SIF form was your application to sit the test. No more forms,just CAF
isthisonetaken

Post by isthisonetaken »

Delighted that DD has got into band A at HBS and also the top 192 at Latymer. A tough decision as to which school to put first as both are great in many different and contrasting ways, but a nice situation to be in. We have chosen Latymer as we think this is the best choice for DD but it is difficult turning down at least the possibility of HBS.

Good luck to all those in band A (and B for that matter). Having read the anguished posts of those waiting during the past year, I thought this minor news (from everyone else's perspective) would at least give some small comfort to those who will choose HBS as their first preference (though, like everyone else, I have no idea if DD was rank 50 or 250!).

The information from both schools is also contrasting. It is much more comforting to have the certainty of a place, or if not, actually knowing a little more about how far away you might be and I would echo previous postings suggesting that HBS should issue the first band at the PAN (including PP, etc); then have what would be the rest of current band A as "likely" but possibly involving the waiting list; then "small chance"; then "little or no chance".
Dev1

Post by Dev1 »

isthisonetaken - good luck to you and your dd
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now