HBS results are out please post here

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sharvari.bandal

Re: HBS results are out please post here

Post by sharvari.bandal »

Dev1 wrote:Sorry for confusion - I am aware how equal preference works - please ignore my comments for now , I may need to write with example but right now in office !!!
Dev1- Waiting for your views on Equal preference system.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Dev1 wrote:Sorry for confusion - I am aware how equal preference works - please ignore my comments for now , I may need to write with example but right now in office !!!

Explanation of equal preference system with an example, for those who aren't sure how it works.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
superchild

Post by superchild »

Pretty straightforward and good system. I understand where the confusion comes from. Some schools mention if you don't put us as number 1 priority, you won't get a place. That is only one half of the story and this is what creates doubts and confusion in the minds of people.

Among all the chaos and non-standard process in the 11+ journey, I think this is the only solid & fair process. But unfortunately people don't believe in it.
mad?

Post by mad? »

sharvari.bandal wrote:
Dev1- Waiting for your views on Equal preference system.
Don't wait, the equal preference system is VERY clear and has been explained on multiple occasions recently (nay today :roll:) by the mods and experienced posters on this forum. Unfortunately for some reason the rumour mill appears to have gone wild this year and all forum members need to be careful not to just believe what a poster says but to check the details, which you will find explained with multiple links on multiple threads with CAF in their titles. If, having read everything you still don't understand then perhaps ask an open question and one of the mods or experts might provide an answer that you can trust. Good luck.

ETA Sorry crossed posts, you have the link and a mods advice now so take it.
mad?
Dev1

Post by Dev1 »

Sorry my intention was not creating any confusion so I will
Not touch subject now - Why HBS did not published more details for banding.

For Equal Preference system - I agree it is very simple and fair process

My thoughts

Define your real Order of Preference with considering following factors

- Check how many options available for you - 6 and 4 is very common
- Check transport facilities - how your Dc is going to travel alone or group for next few years
- Ensure that your choices are realistic- for example if you are leaving 10 mile away from Dr Challonor boys school then it is extremely unlikely that you will get place so not point in wasting CAF place.
- If you are really looking for grammar school then it should be top of the list and local comprehensive at the bottom side - please note that not necessary that grammar school is always better then comp. some comp are really good so check in your area.

- Always read rule book regarding admission and previous score pattern if possible - this will help you to build preference

- It is always advisable to put at least 1 or 2 comp in CAF form , if you put all grammar school in CAF form and no schools ready to give admission then LEA will assign random school to you - which may not be your liking

-Equal preference system is very simple and fair process and do not try to manipulate and trust it does Works very well.

Once you define preference just put that in CAF form and wait for 1st Match.

For example

If you have put option as

1) DAO
2) HBS

If DAO could not able to give admission your chance is equally same as child who has put HBS as first priority. HBS is not aware whether, you have put HBS as first or second or even sixth preference- they strictly give admission on basis of ranking.

However if DAO confirms your admission then LEA will remove all other lower preference and they will not reach out to any other schools so one time , you will get offer for only one school.

On 1st March also you can not reject it and the go for HBS - that is why your real preference comes in to the picture - Decide before you submit CAF, that what you really want for your child.

There may be expectations with about statement, but I would suggest to go with decide now route.
Last edited by Dev1 on Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Good advice there Dev1.
superchild

Post by superchild »

++1 Dev1

Great effort in explaining the system.

Just to add to your post, there is no such thing as excluding a school. If you don't list a school in your CAF, that doesn't mean you have excluded it.

Was reading about this somewhere today and thought omg how confused parents are regarding the process.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

tiffinboys wrote:Upto 20 PP girls would have priority, but it is any one's guess if there were 20 such girls in the top 300. Only HBS admin can tell, if some one makes FOI request.
The stat on this website is 1.4% qualifying for school dinners

https://www.schoolguide.co.uk/schools/t ... den-suburb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This equates to 10-11 girls - so less than 2 per school year were getting in before the PP allocation.
If there were 20 PP in the top 300 in previous years, you'd expect 10 in the top 150, thus likely to be offered a place.

This implies that without a concerted effort by the school to help more PP qualify for the top 300, they wouldn't have had 20 PP to select.

You could submit an FOI, or just wait for the stats in the public domain to be updated.
Amber

Post by Amber »

The Schools Admission Code outlawed the first preference first system. Admission authorities are now legally required to operate an ‘equal preference’ system. This means that places are offered purely on the strength of how well children fit the admissions criteria. Schools can’t favour children who listed the school as their first choice, nor rule out those who placed it lower down their list; in fact, they are not even told where they were ranked in your list of preferences.

The equal preference system was introduced to prevent admission authorities being able to give higher priority to children who listed a school as their first choice.
Clear as clear as clear could be! Not much in this world is: but this is!

https://www.theschoolrun.com/equal-pref ... -explained" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
soniab

Post by soniab »

Do we need to complete any SIF form for HBS.
My daughter got BAND A results too.