HBS results are out please post here

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Dev1

Re: HBS results are out please post here

Post by Dev1 »

Some useful information as per criteria 1 and 2 - previously looked after and Pupil Funding criteria

As per school - lowest rank on national offer day is 126 but then it has move to 171 by Autumn 2017.

Same with 2016 - lowest rank in 31 st Dec was 194.

which is bit strange. Why they moved from march to Sep because I thought they have more priority over other child. I feel that it is actually lowest rank for generic criteria- any thoughts ?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding Private/State - school has also provided break up

In top 300 - 58 private , 165 State school and 77 is unknown.
nyr

Post by nyr »

The PDF file relates to data for non-PP and looked after children. If you look at the request for data under the FOI Act, you'll find that they asked for looked after in 2017 (there was 1), PP (there were 2) and all others. Before 2017 entry there was only 1 criteria (all girls in top 300 were simply ranked on score).

The fact that the last rank offered on National Offer Day reaches between 117-126 suggests to me that, despite the almost unbounded catchment and distances, for the vast majority of candidates HBS is, among the schools they've qualified for, their most preferred option.

The big jump between National Offer Day and 31st December suggests to me that quite a few candidates put HBS high on the CAF but then move to the indie sector, since they received their offers, perhaps some with scholarships and bursaries, in February.
Last edited by nyr on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

nyr wrote:The PDF file relates to data for non-PP and looked after children. If you look at the request for data under the FOI Act, you'll find that they asked for looked after in 2017 (there was 1), PP (there were 2) and all others. Before 2017 entry there was only 1 criteria (all girls in top 300 were simply ranked on score).
1 LAC and 2 PP don't really explain the very slow WL movement this year.

But the pdf may explain why so many Band A were left without an offer.

The Band A definition for 2017 entry was "ranks that have been offered a place in at least one of the last 3 admissions rounds". Most people took "Admissions Round" to mean Offer Day, but technically it should mean up to 31st Dec. So based on 2016 entry, Band A could have gone up to rank 194!

This year's letter, for 2018 entry, defines Band A as "ranks gaining admission by the start of the Autumn Term, in one of the past 3 admissions rounds". Again based on 2016 stats, this year's Band A will only be 184.

A slight tightening - fewer disappointed Band A girls. Although many will still have to wait to get the offer!
mcshcheng

Post by mcshcheng »

I think you have ignored the definition for Band B this year - "Band B - Some candidates in this Band have achieved a ranked score which would have met the standard required to gain a place by the start of the Autumn Term in at least one of the last three admissions rounds".

So for this year's Band A, the number should be 184-some. A good guess is a number in (171, 174].
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

mcshcheng wrote:I think you have ignored the definition for Band B this year - "Band B - Some candidates in this Band have achieved a ranked score which would have met the standard required to gain a place by the start of the Autumn Term in at least one of the last three admissions rounds".

So for this year's Band A, the number should be 184-some. A good guess is a number in (171, 174].
Good point!

I'd guess mid-170s for the band A/B border this year.
roon129

Post by roon129 »

May I know the basis of this inference or the validity of the data set ? My DD is in mid 40s of WL (as of Mar1 , 2017 entry) and still waiting.

Thanks,
Dev1 wrote:Some useful information as per criteria 1 and 2 - previously looked after and Pupil Funding criteria

As per school - lowest rank on national offer day is 126 but then it has move to 171 by Autumn 2017.

Same with 2016 - lowest rank in 31 st Dec was 194.

which is bit strange. Why they moved from march to Sep because I thought they have more priority over other child. I feel that it is actually lowest rank for generic criteria- any thoughts ?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regarding Private/State - school has also provided break up

In top 300 - 58 private , 165 State school and 77 is unknown.
Dev1

Post by Dev1 »

Roon129 - sorry to hear about your daughter.

This PDF comes from Henrietta school

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ng-1061211" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks every one - right now we can only hope that, with last year experience they may have reduce Band A range marginally with 5-10 ranks.
nyr

Post by nyr »

roon129 wrote:May I know the basis of this inference or the validity of the data set ? My DD is in mid 40s of WL (as of Mar1 , 2017 entry) and still waiting.
The data above suggests that by the start of the Autumn term the last waiting list position offered a place was 35. We also know that TT-Green's DD was originally on waiting list position 37 (1st March and I understand there were some adjustments a few days later, with some girls dropping out) and offered a place in mid September. Have you recently contacted the school to determine how many girls are currently ahead of your DD on the WL?
Letree

Post by Letree »

Surely it suggests the last waiting list offered was 45 :D
nyr wrote:
roon129 wrote:May I know the basis of this inference or the validity of the data set ? My DD is in mid 40s of WL (as of Mar1 , 2017 entry) and still waiting.
The data above suggests that by the start of the Autumn term the last waiting list position offered a place was 35. We also know that TT-Green's DD was originally on waiting list position 37 (1st March and I understand there were some adjustments a few days later, with some girls dropping out) and offered a place in mid September. Have you recently contacted the school to determine how many girls are currently ahead of your DD on the WL?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Letree wrote:

Surely it suggests the last waiting list offered was 45
Yes, it does.

Waiting list positions can change, for example if someone informs the LA / school that they definitely no longer want their DC to be considered for a place, all those below move up one. But similarly, if someone who ranks higher against the school's published admissions criteria asks to join the waiting list, everyone below where that DC is slotted in moves down one place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now