top london state schools for oxbridge entry

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ritz667

top london state schools for oxbridge entry

Post by ritz667 »

Top London schools who send most pupils to oxbridge

http://explorelondonwithkids.com/things ... dge-entry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ritz667
Guest55

Re: top london state schools for oxbridge entry

Post by Guest55 »

Why post this? It's totally meaningless - Oxbridge is not THE place to go you know!

How is this data of any interest or use to anyone. By the time of the next cycle A levels will have changed and GCSEs and teachers moved on.

What is this Oxbridge obsession about? It's totally outdated ....
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

More disturbing is the fact the Challoner's is described as a London school!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ritz667 wrote:Top London schools who send most pupils to oxbridge

http://explorelondonwithkids.com/things ... dge-entry/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ritz667
It's under 'Things to Do?

Suggestions for fun days out with the kids? Drag them round a bunch of state secondary schools and gasp with delight as the future Oxbridge students come out at the end of the school day?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

Blimey, who on earth would regard that as a fun day out? :lol:

I wonder does the OP consider every student who doesn't make the Oxford or Cambridge cut as somehow lesser?

Did YOU go to an Oxbridge College, OP? what was it like? I'm dying to know as I'm afraid I only made it as far as a lousy old RG. :wink:

Joking aside, I'm with David Lammy on this one.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

ritz667 wrote:Top London schools who send most pupils to oxbridge

Ritz667
I don't suppose you noticed: Source: Sutton Trust ‘Degrees of Success: University Chances By Individual School’ July 2011
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Guest55 wrote:What is this Oxbridge obsession about? It's totally outdated ....
I totally agree. My daughter has worked hard and is predicted to get the grades to meet Oxford and Cambridge requirements for her subject. Of the two, she has chosen Oxford as one of her UCAS choices alongside Imperial and three others but should she be fortunate enough to get offers from Oxford and Imperial and meets the grade requirements for both (which are the same: A*AA), she's leaning towards Imperial. Why? The course has more contact hours than Oxford's and she has the option to switch to a sandwich option after her first year, which isn't available at Oxford. The new science facilities Imperial have built out at White City put Oxford's to shame and on her course she'd spend most of the third year of study at the new campus, surrounded by companies based there doing research. They have an exciting approach to the interdisciplines of science rather than the rather outdated Natural Sciences route at Cambridge and the straight sciences at Oxford. Have a look at some of Imperial's Hackathons they run in conjunction with businesses. She's thinking ahead and understands that rewarding and interesting employment is the most important output from university and reasons that Imperial offers more practical opportunities than Oxford.

I think Oxford would be a more comfortable environment for her than the big city and is closer to home, so it might yet become her first choice if she gets as far as an interview and offer, but it would be a tough choice for her if she has the luxury of a choice.

Having visited Oxford and Cambridge twice each in the last year, I can't shake the nagging feeling that they are trading on reputations and contacts and there's a certain complacency there. The quaint college quads and Hogwarts dining rooms are lovely and both cities are more attractive places to live than London but there's nothing special about the lecture and lab facilities which in some areas are decidedly scruffy. The money clearly sits in the colleges. For the science subjects, it seems to me that places like Imperial and Manchester are pushing on and providing a different experience which challenges the old guard. It's my daughter's choice of course but you can see that I'm sold!
piggys

Post by piggys »

anotherdad wrote: I can't shake the nagging feeling that they are trading on reputations and contacts and there's a certain complacency there.
+ 1.
piggys

Post by piggys »

And as I said in a thread I started ages ago, it's PPE which rules the world anyway. :wink:

I am still awaiting the OP's response to my questions..... :lol:
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Data is too old (2007-2009). What's the point in this out-dated meaningless report?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now