St Michael´s Catholic Grammar communion criteria

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

caroest

St Michael´s Catholic Grammar communion criteria

Post by caroest »

Dear all, my loving daughter is currently attending a CoE Primary and will be doing her First Communion in a couple of weeks but reading the catholic criteria for St Michael´s I am now not sure she will be accepted to take the exam if her FC certificate is not from a Catholic Church. She was baptised in a Catholic Church and we are all Roman Catholic (and church goers) but she got into a CoE primary as we were within the catchment area.
Any thoughts on how strict this distinction works?
She's very academic and happy to put in the hours...and we live locally!
Tinkers

Re: St Michael´s Catholic Grammar communion criteria

Post by Tinkers »

Have you look at the school’s admissions criteria?

Most of the catholic school admissions I’ve seen (although to be fair I haven’t seen many, it’s not something I look at), ask for a Catholic baptism certificate and I’ve not seen a FC certificate asked for. It’s usually a case of whether you are a practising catholic or not, in addition to having a BC. (You should be able to get your priest to sign off your church attendance).

Which primary school DC attends usually doesn’t make a difference unless the school has feeder schools in its criteria.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I was nosey and looked for you.

http://fluencycontent2-schoolwebsite.ne ... 9-2020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There’s a list of feeder schools. Those attending get priority of those who don’t. There’s no need for a FC certificate as it’s not mentioned, but proof of church attendance and BC is required.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Tinkers wrote:I was nosey and looked for you.

http://fluencycontent2-schoolwebsite.ne ... 9-2020.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There’s a list of feeder schools. Those attending get priority of those who don’t. There’s no need for a FC certificate as it’s not mentioned, but proof of church attendance and BC is required.
That's St Michael's Catholic High School, not St Michael's Catholic Grammar, the girls' grammar in Finchley...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
caroest

Post by caroest »

Thank you Tinkers.
Yes, I have looked at the criteria and they ask for baptism, communion and a reference letter from your church, plus I've written to them asking for the criteria and they always use the word 'Catholic':
I guess a communion from a CoE will not be acceptable then...

And yes, It's a different St Michael's

This is from their website:

Admissions Criteria

The following criteria will be used when pupils are selected for entry to the School and in the following order of priority.

Catholic girls:

from a Practising Catholic family and who have made their First Holy Communion in the Catholic Church

ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

...whose Admissions Policy (pretty much in contravention of the Admissions Code in respect of only allowing communicant RC girls to sit the test, but hey ho):

Admissions Criteria

The following criteria will be used when pupils are selected for entry to the School and in the following order of priority.

Catholic girls:

from a Practising Catholic family andwho have made their First Holy Communion in the Catholic Church

Each year the Governing Body will admit to the tests, referred to below, girls (eligible by age) who fulfil the above requirements.

All applicants selected in accordance with this criterion 1 will be required to take written tests in Verbal and Non-Verbal Reasoning, English and Mathematics. Following the tests all applicants will be ranked in order starting with the highest score. Places will be allocated strictly in accordance with the score but if two or more applicants have an equal ranking then the applicant's marks in the Verbal Reasoning test will take precedence over Non Verbal Reasoning which will take precedence over English which will take precedence over Maths.

If having applied this formula there are still two or more applicants who have an equal ranking then the Governing Body will give preference to Catholic girls who are looked after or have previously been looked after. (Previously looked after girls are girls who were looked after, but have ceased to be so because they have been adopted or become subject to child arrangements orders or special guardianship orders).

St. Michael’s, historically, has always been oversubscribed with candidates who meet criterion 1. In the unlikely event that the number of such applicants falls below 150 in any year then the Governing Body may invite such other female applicants (eligible by age) to the tests in order to bring the total number of girls tested to 150.

X-posted :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

ToadMum wrote:
Tinkers wrote:I was nosey and looked for you.

That's St Michael's Catholic High School, not St Michael's Catholic Grammar, the girls' grammar in Finchley...
So it is.
caroest

Post by caroest »

The thing is we ARE Roman Catholic but an outstanding CoE primary in the area seemed perfectly acceptable and it would not make any sense for her to do her First Communion elsewhere...
I wonder if RC baptism Cert vs CoE F Communion Cert. will be terribly contradictory...we are just broad-minded Christians :)
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

I'm confused about your post, to be honest.

In the CofE faith, the first communion is normally combined with confirmation so the child is 13-14. In Catholicism, the sacraments are different. First communion is taken when a child is 8-9 and confirmation is approx 14.

Also in both faiths, the preparation is done outside school through the local church and is not done in school hours.

What age is your child and does she attend a state primary CofE school? It doesn't add up in my experience of both faiths.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm not a Catholic but live in your area and a friend of mine who attends my church (not catholic) had her child baptised in a catholic church and she did her first communion in a catholic church which they attend once a month - purely for the possibility of St Michaels...
I think the school is quite strict about its criteria unfortunately.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now