Dame Alice Owens/ St Albans High school for girls

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scarletthw

Dame Alice Owens/ St Albans High school for girls

Post by scarletthw »

Hello,

DD is in year 10 but we are currently looking at other schools for sixth form. So far we have visited dame Alice owens and STAHS, and have been very impressed with both. We have decided to definitely apply for these two, but are welcome to other suggestions. Independent or state is fine, no preference for co-ed or all-girls. Somewhere in Hertfordshire. DD is very bright and is on track for all A’s and A*’s at GCSE, loves drama, and quite likes sport.

We would like to know about the admissions process for external candidates at STAHS and DAO, and hope that somebody can help us. We know they are both interviews, but if what kind in nature, and how hard is it to get in? Any other information about sixth form would be great, including university process, a levels, and co-curricular.

Thank you!
ToadMum

Re: Dame Alice Owens/ St Albans High school for girls

Post by ToadMum »

scarletthw wrote:Hello,

DD is in year 10 but we are currently looking at other schools for sixth form. So far we have visited dame Alice owens and STAHS, and have been very impressed with both. We have decided to definitely apply for these two, but are welcome to other suggestions. Independent or state is fine, no preference for co-ed or all-girls. Somewhere in Hertfordshire. DD is very bright and is on track for all A’s and A*’s at GCSE, loves drama, and quite likes sport.

We would like to know about the admissions process for external candidates at STAHS and DAO, and hope that somebody can help us. We know they are both interviews, but if what kind in nature, and how hard is it to get in? Any other information about sixth form would be great, including university process, a levels, and co-curricular.

Thank you!
No specific idea about either of these schools, I'm afraid ( have had two DC get to / past that stage, but in a different area), but with a reasonable working knowledge of the School Admissions Code. STAHS, as an independent school, can do as it will. However, DAO, as a state school, definitely cannot include an interview in its admissions process, at any stage. They may invite applicants to come in and discuss their subject choices, but no more than that.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I was just going to say that. There is no interview allowed at DAO as it's a state school. All candidates (internal and external) have a meeting to discuss their preferred A level options though.
A friend's son is current year 11 and just went through this process although he's chosen a 6th form college rather than a school. I asked what the meeting discussed and it was discussing preferred A levels, second choices if he did less well than expected at GCSE, what he likes and dislikes about those subjects and future career plans (the mum said that they were discussing which A levels would be best suited to that career etc) and predicted GCSE grades.
scarletthw

Post by scarletthw »

Thanks ToadMum and loobylou. I did not realise that there was no interview. How do DAO choose their candidates then? Is it entirely based on predicted grades?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have had two dds go through the sixth form at DAO and a very close family member at STAHS.

DAO is a much bigger sixth form, over twice the size and offers a greater range of A levels in more than one column. At least fifty new students join the sixth form every year.

There are lots of opportunities to get involved with mentoring students lower down the school and lots of drama, sports and music opportunities.

Some of the top students at STAHS move over to the boys school but results are still strong.

Which subjects is your dd interested in?

Offers are based on estimated grades. DG
scarletthw

Post by scarletthw »

Thank you Daogroupie. Considering DAO is such a big year group, how well do the new sixth form integrate?

For a-levels, she has decided on English lit, Spanish, politics, and religious studies. However drama is also a possibility.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

These are all very strong departments (From dd1's year three students are now doing PPE at Oxford) but DAO will not let you do four A levels.

No University offers on more than three so it is much better to focus on three and get the grades.

DAO has 31 Oxbridge offers this year who are all students doing three A levels except for those doing Further Maths.

There is the opportunity to apply to do an EPQ which can be on any topic of your choice which counts as half an A level. DD1 did an EPQ that was of great relevance to the degree she was applying for.

Drama is a fantastic department and the productions are of great quality. Every year new students come in and appear in lead roles in the productions.

The form groups are organised around the subjects which gives students opportunities to get to know each other.

DD1 did English Lit and there is a major piece of coursework that is a big timesink. She started with four A levels but dropped one after AS. She also had coursework for History so three pieces to do including the EPQ.

Both dds got all 5 UCAS offers on their three A levels and even though dd1 is doing another A level not offered at DAO in one year this year at another school, all five of her offers were places and not conditional on any grade on her 4th A level.

My family member at STAHS started with 4 A levels but dropped one after AS and got all 5 UCAS offers.

You can't go wrong with either sixth forms. Do you have a preference? DG
scarletthw

Post by scarletthw »

I think she wants to do all 4 for AS to get an idea of which subjects she prefers, and then drop down to 3 for a level.

31 Oxbridge offers sounds very good, but how many people are there in the year group approximately?

We were told when visiting DAO that there is a very enthusiastic drama department, which we like the sound of. Whilst DD is not convinced on drama a level yet, she will definitely want to do the productions. Are lead roles only given to those who take drama a level?

We have also heard that the music is of a very high standard, and whilst DD does not play an instrument, she does sing in a choir.

All 5 UCAS offers! You must be very proud of your daughters!

I'd say we do not have an overall preference but I have a slight inclination towards DAO, whereas DH prefers STAHS. DD is tying between the two,mass he has preferences in certain areas towards the schools, but not enough overall to sway the vote. Her latest comment is that she thinks she prefers DAO, but that could all change!

Our one problem with DAO is that DD absolutely loves Latin, but there is no Latin a level offered! There is Latin at STAHS but I hear the uptake is very very small.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

My child there is only in year 10 but I'm pretty sure DAO doesn't do AS levels any more? I know some schools do but I didn't think DAO was one of them. DG will have more up to date info than me.
DD (albeit I appreciate another year off having to make these decisions) is hoping to start 4 and drop one after a couple of months when she knows which she is enjoying least.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For balance I will add that most UCAS applicants get five offers ...