Do scholarships make a difference?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

persereving18

Do scholarships make a difference?

Post by persereving18 »

I was wondering whether scholarship award actually make a difference to a students time in school?
hermanmunster

Re: Do scholarships make a difference?

Post by hermanmunster »

depends what you mean by a difference? I know that some who get music / sport scholarships have to commit a certain amount of extracurricular time etc to the subject and may or may not continue to enjoy it through the whole time they are there. Some will thrive.

Had a friend who got an academic scholarship and felt that throughout the time at school "much was expected of her" - possibly more than she felt happy with
persereving18

Post by persereving18 »

Academic scholarships I really wanted to delve in, us there something extra the school may provide?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

persereving18 wrote:I was wondering whether scholarship award actually make a difference to a students time in school?
Almost certainly, if it's a school which withdraws the scholarship (or worse...), should the holder not live up to his/her initial promise?

I was going to say, I had a minor scholarship and never felt under any pressure because of it, so either I always did well enough for it never to become an issue, or my school just wasn't like that - or things were just different, back in the dark ages :lol: . However, if HM 's friend is a contemporary, their experience would have been round about the same time as mine, so perhaps scrap the third one :( .
persereving18 wrote:Academic scholarships I really wanted to delve in, us there something extra the school may provide?
I think some schools may throw in things like guaranteed places at certain 'academic' events such as extra workshops etc? You really need to ask the school(s) you are interested in for the details of their particular package.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

LOL - yes it was the dark ages :lol: :lol: Don't think it was excess pressure and as it was a nominal scholarship (fees were already covered by LEA at that time) there was no risk of losing the scholarship. I think it was more that people expected AAA and Oxbridge and that wasn't what she wanted, felt able to do.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

In one of the "well respected" indies DS1 was offered a large academic scholarship at, he was expected to maintain top levels throughout and attend scholars club every week, without fail. This was sessions some weeks, trips others, talks etc. All scholars were required to attend, including those who were honorary scholars (i.e. Scholar in name only, with no financial reductions). For various reasons, one of which were the lengthy terms and conditions attached, we decided this school was not for us!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is a Private school I know which uses Sixth Form scholarships [small discount] to tempt parents of students with good GCSEs to keep students there rather than move to the local GS. This could look attractive until you compare A level results ...
persereving18

Post by persereving18 »

I do worry that there will be further pressure for a child to perform to a higher standard when one is offered such an award...though if a child is able to access broader opportunities it does sound tempting...or perhaps I am seeing it through tinted glasses :shock:
persereving18

Post by persereving18 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:In one of the "well respected" indies DS1 was offered a large academic scholarship at, he was expected to maintain top levels throughout and attend scholars club every week, without fail. This was sessions some weeks, trips others, talks etc. All scholars were required to attend, including those who were honorary scholars (i.e. Scholar in name only, with no financial reductions). For various reasons, one of which were the lengthy terms and conditions attached, we decided this school was not for us!
Did you opt for a grammar school instead? Sorry just curious!
mad?

Post by mad? »

You need to ask the school what they do with/for academic scholars and not listen to our hearsay and 1st/2nd/3rd hand experiences of what we know/have heard. We are, after all, strangers on the internet. FWIW at 'our' indie I cannot tell you what else happened as no-one knew who the academic scholars were.
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now