Habs vs QE...choosing a school

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BizzyM

Habs vs QE...choosing a school

Post by BizzyM »

Hi
Please inform me which school has a better reputation? I am not from London, so i really know little about the two. We have offers for both with full bursary so I need to make an educated decision by this week. DS loved both schools and doesn't mind which one he goes to. L8cation for both is fine for us. Though I worry QE may be tough...But at same time I worry the bursary might change leaving us in a tight position.

Help!
Daogroupie

Re: Habs vs Qe...choosing a school

Post by Daogroupie »

QE is a state school so you can't have a bursary for a state school as there are no fees.

Your bursary offer for HABS will remain until the deadline expires.

You do not yet have an offer from QE. Did you put it first on the CAF form and do you have a score in the 230s and above.

You can't go wrong with either school, they are both very academic. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

BizzyM wrote:Hi
Please inform me which school has a better reputation? I am not from London, so i really know little about the two. We have offers for both with full bursary so I need to make an educated decision by this week. DS loved both schools and doesn't mind which one he goes to. L8cation for both is fine for us. Though I worry QE may be tough...But at same time I worry the bursary might change leaving us in a tight position.

Help!
Indeed, DG. BizzyM, you do not have an offer from QE - nobody does.

Why did you apply to the school if you know, as you claim, 'very little' about it?

Why does 'reputation' matter? what about your own experience of the school and that of your ds. Or did you just not bother with the small matter of researching and visiting?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

It really, really isn't about the best reputation - they are completely different schools & you really need to choose it based on the best fit for you and your family (for example, are there siblings to take into account?), rather than what (biased) strangers tell you on the internet. Both are excellent schools but we don't know which will suit your son or family. I don't know the terms of the bursary for HABS - could it be removed if he didn't perform well academically? Also, as others have said, you haven't had an offer from QEB yet, that won't happen until March 1st.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Also, how far away from either school is the 'not London' that you are from? How will your DS get to school, whichever one it is?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
BizzyM

Post by BizzyM »

Sorry better to clarify a few things:
Yes we have been to both schools. QE was a very proactive school. Habs looks beautiful and overall good. I moved a few years ago to the area so what i ment is that I am not originally from London. I still need to make a decision as it would be unfair to hold onto places. I hope we have a good chance with 239. But as you said we haven't had the offer yet. Sorry should have been more clear on that.
My DS likes both and wants us to decide. Me being indecisive lead me here...just wanted some feedback...anyone?
Last edited by BizzyM on Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BizzyM

Post by BizzyM »

Daogroupie wrote:QE is a state school so you can't have a bursary for a state school as there are no fees.

Your bursary offer for HABS will remain until the deadline expires.

You do not yet have an offer from QE. Did you put it first on the CAF form and do you have a score in the 230s and above.

You can't go wrong with either school, they are both very academic. DG
Absolutely right, sorry should have been clear on that. Bursary is from Habs.
BizzyM

Post by BizzyM »

piggys wrote:
BizzyM wrote:Hi

Help!
Indeed, DG. BizzyM, you do not have an offer from QE - nobody does.

Why did you apply to the school if you know, as you claim, 'very little' about it?

Why does 'reputation' matter? what about your own experience of the school and that of your ds. Or did you just not bother with the small matter of researching and visiting?
Indeed we did visit both schools. As I said i liked both but wanted to know more. Initially DS was recommended to take QE exam by his primary school teacher. Thought what's the worst that could happen. Literally went over GL book in summer holidays so not much preparation but enough so he didn't feel completely out of water.
Then I suppose I gave too much "choice" by doing Habs. Now I am confused.
I went to an awful state school, so Just trying to raise the bar here...any advice would be appreciated.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You were very lucky to have a state primary that recommended you to sit for selective schools. Many do not get involved.

239 has got a place on allocation day every year for the past five years so it is reasonable to expect that it will this year.

You already know that QE is not an awful state school by the thousands of applicants you would have seen in Queens road on exam day and by looking at the results and meeting the boys at open day and the exam results tour if you went.

Are there any requirements on the Habs bursary? Does it last until Y13 or finish at Y11? Is it reviewed yearly?

They are quite different schools but please do not choose a school because it looks beautiful. That has nothing to do with if your ds will be happy there.

Did you go on the QE tours in October? They are only for those who get 220 and above in the exam so you really get a feel for the school.

There will be lots of wealthy families at Habs and students from prep schools but also plenty of boys from state primaries who are very happy there.

Habs is harder to get to transport wise as it is a campus whereas QE has plenty of transport options as it is close to the High Street.

I know several boys who will be turning down Habs for QE next week if the score to get a place gets to the 229s but none of them were offered full bursaries.

I don't know any family turning down QE for Habs and I know other families turning down Habs for St Albans and City.

Every family I know who got Habs also got other schools so they have options like you.

Habs is very strong in Sports and Music and Debating. Are any of these things of interest to your ds? If I was in your position these things would have swung it for me but if there are not of interest to your ds you should not take them into account. DG

Will he know anyone at either school? DG
BizzyM

Post by BizzyM »

Daogroupie wrote:You were very lucky to have a state primary that recommended you to sit for selective schools. Many do not get involved.

239 has got a place on allocation day every year for the past five years so it is reasonable to expect that it will this year.

You already know that QE is not an awful state school by the thousands of applicants you would have seen in Queens road on exam day and by looking at the results and meeting the boys at open day and the exam results tour if you went.

Are there any requirements on the Habs bursary? Does it last until Y13 or finish at Y11? Is it reviewed yearly?

They are quite different schools but please do not choose a school because it looks beautiful. That has nothing to do with if your ds will be happy there.

Did you go on the QE tours in October? They are only for those who get 220 and above in the exam so you really get a feel for the school.

There will be lots of wealthy families at Habs and students from prep schools but also plenty of boys from state primaries who are very happy there.

Habs is harder to get to transport wise as it is a campus whereas QE has plenty of transport options as it is close to the High Street.

I know several boys who will be turning down Habs for QE next week if the score to get a place gets to the 229s but none of them were offered full bursaries.

I don't know any family turning down QE for Habs and I know other families turning down Habs for St Albans and City.

Every family I know who got Habs also got other schools so they have options like you.

Habs is very strong in Sports and Music and Debating. Are any of these things of interest to your ds? If I was in your position these things would have swung it for me but if there are not of interest to your ds you should not take them into account. DG

Will he know anyone at either school? DG

DG Thank you! You really are very informative.
We went to both open days, as well as the tour when we received our QE results. Yes I most definitely witnessed the havoc of parents and boys on exam day so it does shed light to just how popular it must be.

The bursary is anually reviewed throughout his time there. That is why I am struggling to turn it down. It's very generous.

He knows older boys in Habs but mainly acquaintances via his cricket club but not really friends. I'm afraid we don't know any QE boys.

His school teacher has always said he is a QE boy as he is a fast learner and is a gifted and talented recognised student.

He does like debating but mainly on paper...Not so much orally which I would like for him to work on.

Both location wise are nearby as I will be semi dropping him as well as using school buses.

I appreciate all your advice. I agree I shouldn't look at the school for its lovely grounds...difficult not to though. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now