DAO Rank allocations 1st March 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
loobylou

Re: DAO Rank allocations 1st March 2018

Post by loobylou »

Wow that distance place sounds much further than the last couple of years. Maybe people aren't moving out as soon as they get a place any more...
It goes quite close to the other end of Dugdale Hill Lane - there was someone on here a few months ago who lived on that road and didn't think there was much chance of a place on distance. Hope you got it!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is because a lot lost out because they did not read the criteria properly.

One family held onto another local property so they lost the place.

It does state that you can't do that quite clearly.

Another had not been there two years.

DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Oh dear!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DG - exactly why is 110 disappointing? Surely for the school this is better than last year; they have higher ranked entrants.
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

You're right loobylou it's a lot further than last year - here is the map for the last 3 years...

http://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/publ ... dmissions/

So distance places better but exam places harder this year... why?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

ale21279 wrote:You're right loobylou it's a lot further than last year - here is the map for the last 3 years...

http://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/publ ... dmissions/

So distance places better but exam places harder this year... why?
I don't know if I'm reading the report correctly but it looks as though there may have been fewer siblings and therefore more children accepted on location? There appear to be another 16 admitted under category 7 which is "closest to the school" which I think 38 children have been admitted on location?

http://damealiceowens.herts.sch.uk/publ ... mber-2018/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

19 more families with a rank of 110 and above decided to hold onto the places this year compared with last year.

This time next year there will only be 325 families who will have the option of deciding to take the place as the rest will have been knocked out in the first round.

This could mean that the last rank to get in might not even reach 100. DG
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

Daogroupie wrote:It is because a lot lost out because they did not read the criteria properly.

One family held onto another local property so they lost the place.

It does state that you can't do that quite clearly.

Another had not been there two years.

DG
Are these definite cases that happened this year? I wondered how much they investigated the distance applications.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

All distance applications are very thoroughly investigated and the criteria has been tightened up every year.

I know of a local family who purchased another property which they have rented out to a different family each year and then when they needed to use it for their own dc they moved in for a year to get in and then went back to their own property as soon as they got a place and continued to rent it out each year.

This is no longer going to work because applicants need to have been living in the property or at least two years before they can apply and cannot own another property locally.

I know of a family phoned just a week ago and asked to provide details of their distance application. Clearly families living closer had their applications rejected so they were going to distance applicants further afield.

Also because there were only 71 siblings this year as opposed to usual numbers in the 80s there were 38 distance spaces this year. DAO has no control at all on the siblings places. I have not ever seen it as low as 71. DG
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

So it's good news for genuine local applicants, but not so good for exam applicants? Especially those hoping to go on the waiting list?

If the last rank to be offered a place was 110, does this mean that more families put DAO as their 1st choice than in previous years, when the rank has gone lower?

I know of two local families who are very happy to have got a place, as at least one of them wouldn't have done in the last 3 years