HBS allocations 1st March 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nyr

Re: HBS allocations 1st March 2018

Post by nyr »

Could the last few years rapid movements have been impacted by HBS and QE opening up places beyond PAN after National Offer Day? For example, last year QE added an extra 12 places after 1st March and for the last few years there has always been a great deal of speculation about whether or not HBS offered 93 or 100 places on 1st March. If 19 coveted places were thrown into the system after offer day then this would have lead to considerable jiggling around between all the local schools but if this year all these places were offered on 1st March then the extra stimulus is removed.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is incredible that such a basic part of admissions criteria, the PAN, can be such an area of confusion with regards to HBS.

Why is HBS able to get away year after year with not updating the PAN if they have been taking in more than 93?

QE upped the score criteria from 210 to 220 as the min requirement for attending the tour in October which forces the parents of those with lower scores to face the reality of what is likely to be the score required to gain a place.

But HBS seems to be going the opposite way by inviting the top 20 on the waiting list to offer day thereby creating the expectation that an offer is not far away.

Some of the families on the waiting list have their lives on hold, waiting to perhaps pack up their whole life and move closer to HBS if they get a place.

It is really important they are given realistic information so they can decide on a point when they are going to move forward with other choices. DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

With house prices in millions, who move moves closer to HBS. Any one who can buy or rent house near HBS can also easily send their DD to independent schools near their current residence.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Along the Northern line there's a lot of new-build flats that start in the low 6-figures. As with most new-build schemes in London, I assume many have been pre-sold to buy-to-let investors so are now available to rent.

But having seen the v. low numbers who moved for Latimer, how many do you think actually move for HBS?
K1K2

Post by K1K2 »

My DD is on HBS WL. A friend of mine said that my DD could be pushed back in the WL from her current position if someone who achieved higher mark than her and but did not put HBS on CAF deadline day has now decided to go to HBS. I was told that as they are late for the CAF deadline day they couldn't be added on it but after the allocations has been made she can get jump into a position in the WL. Can someone please verify this? as its not fair ( I know nothing in this world is fair) as the rules were set out and if one doesn't put the school in CAF should not be allowed in as the results were out before the CAF deadline day and they should have at least put the school in the CAF list. If this is true than there is no point of CAF deadline day.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

There is a point in the deadline day. Those that apply by then are allowed to be considered in the first offer round, made on March 1st (assuming they meet the other criteria). At this point, the school may be full, so late applicants may never get a chance to be offered - that is the risk, if you don't meet CAF deadline day.

Imagine if you lived in Scotland and your employer told you in January that they are relocating you down south. Your whole family has to move - you've missed the CAF deadline down south, because you did not know you were having to move. According to you, you should not be allowed to apply to this school, because, tough, you missed the deadline. Not your fault your employer didn't tell you, but tough. Can you see now why late applicants are allowed to apply and sit on the w/l at whatever position their test score allows?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

This is the law (a bit of light bedtime reading :) )

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... 19_Dec.pdf
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

K1K2 wrote:My DD is on HBS WL. A friend of mine said that my DD could be pushed back in the WL from her current position if someone who achieved higher mark than her and but did not put HBS on CAF deadline day has now decided to go to HBS. I was told that as they are late for the CAF deadline day they couldn't be added on it but after the allocations has been made she can get jump into a position in the WL. Can someone please verify this? as its not fair ( I know nothing in this world is fair) as the rules were set out and if one doesn't put the school in CAF should not be allowed in as the results were out before the CAF deadline day and they should have at least put the school in the CAF list. If this is true than there is no point of CAF deadline day.
Of course it's fair to add people to the waiting list after CAF submission - which is, after all, nearly a year before the child is due to start school.

Remember that some of the late applicants may have scores or residency criteria that would have gained them a place in the first round if they had been able to apply on time, but now they are only being allowed to go on a waiting list. They're not taking places of children who've already been offered a place, even though they better meet the subscription criteria.
K1K2

Post by K1K2 »

Thanks for the replies. My concern is not with someone who sat HBS exams as has to relocate (from Scotland to use the example of Kenyancowgirl). The point is the DD must have sat and passed HBS exams especially as it is a 100% selective school and no catchment criteria.Why didn't the parent put HBS on CAF list in the first place? there was ample time to decide and the results were out well before the CAF deadline day and now to decide to have their DD on and jump the list. I am being specific about a selective school in this case HBS and not schools in general. It looks like if you don't get the school you wanted on your original CAF list, you have a fallback because your daughter passed HSB exams. The point is its pushing back those on the WL who played by the rules. Maybe its me being paranoid as HBS has us all guessing.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The parents who applied late to HBS don't have a "fallback" as you call it. What they have is the opportunity to go on the waiting list. If they did well in the exam they will go to the top of the waiting list but there's no guarantee they'll get a place.

The parents who made late applications ARE playing by the rules, just like you did. They are entitled to make a late application to any school, as are you. If your circumstances change you might well want to find a different school than the one you were offered. You might, for example, not have been offered any of the schools you put on your CAF and are now trying to make the best of a difficult situation.

The only way late applicants will leapfrog your child is if they did better in the exams than your child.