Holding multiple offers

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JayS

Holding multiple offers

Post by JayS »

My ds is in the unfortunate position of not having received any offers from his 6 school choices and is on the waiting list of 2 Grammar schools. I find it so sad that a number of parents are holding onto multiple offers ina Grammar and private school as they have not yet decided and we are in this position! Can parents please consider other children and let schools know if they will not be accepting a place so a child like mine has some hope of attending a school of choice.
Last edited by JayS on Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Re: Holding multiple offers

Post by Daogroupie »

Very sorry to hear this Jays.

This must be so difficult to deal with.

I am guessing the waiting lists are QE and Latymer or perhaps DAO.

You can't be in Herts as Herts only get 4 choices, was only 3 when my dds applied.

Are some more likely than others?

I hope something comes through for you soon. DG
DSDSDD

Post by DSDSDD »

@JayS - did you not put your local/nearest comprehensive as one of your choices, or is that oversubscribed as well?
Yes

Post by Yes »

Very sorry for you JayS, hope you will get the desired school from the waiting list.

Have a look at new school Ark Pioneer near High Barnet. They potentially are undersubscribed and looks like could be a good school.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

JayS wrote:My ds is in the unfortunate position of not having received any offers from his 6 school choices and is on the waiting list of 2 Grammar schools. I find it so sad that a number of parents are holding onto multiple offers ina Grammar and private school as they have not yet decided and we are in this position! Can parents please consider other children and let schools know if they will not be accepting a place so a child like mine has some hole of attending a school of choice.
The CAF is not a place to list "choices", it is a place to express "preferences", which is why we always tell parents one of the schools on the list should be a a school you are guaranteed a place at. Assumably you did not do this?

Where have you been offered a place (as the LEA HAS to offer you a place somewhere) - and, hopefully you have accepted that place, even if you are not overly happy with it. If you have rejected that place then the LEA is not required to offer you another one. Every parent is entitled to have an offer of a State school for their child, so, even if you do not like it, those parents who are also holding a private school offer are entitled to do this (and are likely to make a decision at the end of this month when the first term's fees will likely be due.)

Hopefully you will hear from one of the GS soon but, gently, I must suggest that you possibly could have influenced this a little more in your favour, if you had applied to just one school (out of the 6) where you were guaranteed a place.
CestMoi

Post by CestMoi »

While I agree in principle with kenyoncowgirl, it is also the case that we have black spots in North London where entry to a school on distance is not guaranteed. We also have schools with distances that shrink and expand depending on the year. I know because I live in one such weird place! Yes we could have travelled across the borough to an under-subscribed school no-one else wanted but who wants that for their child?

OP - many people are holding a state school place while they decide whether to commit to an independent school. In my experience, they almost always take the independent school if they are still debating it. This year I know a couple holding places in good state community schools and one holding a place at Latymer. Do you know where you are on the wait lists?
miller

Post by miller »

I agree with Cestmoi, there are some ‘black holes’ in North London. I’m not sure what has happened this year, but there seems to have been increased numbers for both state & Independent schools, perhaps it has been a bulge year and very high sibling numbers for this years yr6, which has reduced the offer pool for some state schools. The waiting lists for the Grammars are moving very slowly and I’m not hearing of many places being offered from Independent wait lists.

Hang in there, the second round of state offers have been made, which will have released some places and most schools are now engaging with their yr7 intake with regards induction days, pre tests and with reference to Independents, asking for fees. This might give those holding both state & Independent offers, the push that they need to make a decision.
AML

Post by AML »

JayS wrote:My ds is in the unfortunate position of not having received any offers from his 6 school choices and is on the waiting list of 2 Grammar schools. I find it so sad that a number of parents are holding onto multiple offers ina Grammar and private school as they have not yet decided and we are in this position! Can parents please consider other children and let schools know if they will not be accepting a place so a child like mine has some hole of attending a school of choice.
Do you know your position on the waiting list of the GS, is it realistic he will get a chance?

Not saying this is YOUR case but sometimes child simply wasn't 'good enough' ( in terms of passing grammar school exam not meant in any wider context!) and blaming parents holding multiple offers is just clutching at straws.

Sorry if this is a harsh post...
JayS

Post by JayS »

Unfortunately we live in one of those ‘black holes ‘ and put all our local closest comprehensive state schools that have so far taken only children within 0.4
miles... we are 0.9 miles away from the nearest. We are on waiting list no 15 and 20 of the grammars DAO and Latymer and no 181 on our choice 2 closest local state comprehensive! Our offer was from a school 6 miles away that is underperforming with a high exclusion rate and it was obvious from the 2 children who showed us around that they had little care in education and learning! It’s hard when private school fees are not an option:(
JayS

Post by JayS »

DSDSDD wrote:@JayS - did you not put your local/nearest comprehensive as one of your choices, or is that oversubscribed as well?
All nearest schools oversubscribed
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now