grammar school for girls

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Monu

grammar school for girls

Post by Monu »

Hi,
My daughter is in year 3 right now. We stay in Harrow. We are really confused as to which grammar school should we aim as we don't come into the catchment area. We are ready to move the house for a good school. Also which independent schools we could aim ? Could anybody please suggest?? Thanks
11plusparents

Re: grammar school for girls

Post by 11plusparents »

It depends on when you want to move.
If you could move now or in near future, you could move into to Bucks, Slough,Sutton or Kent or anywhere you want.
you can move into the catchment area of the school of your choice and once your child pass relevant test, you could be offered a place.

But if you want to stay in harrow and only move after school place is offered, it becomes lot more difficult and uncertain.
Normally, non catchments places are offered for the top ranking kids and catchment candidates can score very low and still be offered a place.
if you are only willing to move after the place is offered, I have listed below some of the options
HBS 100% ranking ( you can commute from harrow)
Sutton schools (185 places)
Schools in Essex offer places without any catchment rules.
Slough mixed grammar schools offer places based on ranking and Harrow postcodes are in outer catchment area , hence test score should be 122 or above.

if you can afford private schools, the best thing you could do is put your daughter in a prep school from Year 4. Prep schools are feeder schools to many private schools and you will get the all the necessary support.
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

I will add few more schools

1) Mill Hill County High School - 24 Place
2) Schools from SW herts - Watford Grammer Girls (only some post code from Harrow area)

HA3 6
HA5 1 to 5
HA7 3 and 4

3) St Clement Danes School - 24 Place
4) Latymer - you need to move before 8th Jan - after result but before allocation
5) Schools in Kent
6) Chelmsford County High School for Girls - same exam as Slough but need to fill up form seperately.

please note that this is as of now , since you are in Year 3, rules might change in next few years
Monu

Post by Monu »

Thanks for your reply. I can move near harrow only( Hounslow, Watford ,Bushey). Which is better area to move for girls grammar school? Thanks
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Maybe look at a few and see which schools would suit your daughter? Don't you have any good schools in Harrow? A bright child will do just as well in a comprehensive school & you wouldn't have to uproot your family.
scary mum
svg123

Post by svg123 »

If you are willing to move, you could look into Bucks area, close to Amersham/Chesham or even Rickmansworth.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

svg123 wrote:If you are willing to move, you could look into Bucks area, close to Amersham/Chesham or even Rickmansworth.
What is the child doesn't qualify? There are no comprehensives ... Amersham does have a good Upper but I'm not sure this is what the OP is looking for.
Melannie

Post by Melannie »

You could get into DAO if you live in the catchment.

It's not a full grammar per se 8) but it's pretty much there in terms of performance and everything else!

A lot of parents like the school as the facilities are fantastic, the results and pastoral care are great and it has a sibling policy. Have a look at the DAO threads with regards to catchment and the duration you have to be in the catchment area to automatically qualify for a place.

One thing I would say is to really think carefully about moving for a particular school before you've taken the tests or researched whether your child feels comfortable there from the open days. It's a huge financial investment if results go askew or your child isn't keen from their viewing.
Monu

Post by Monu »

Thanks all for your reply
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO is a mixed school. The OP specified a girls grammar.

If the OP is interested this would be the time to move but there is no automatic qualification as it is not in catchment that secures a place but being one of the 22 closest.

There are very detailed requirements for a distance place that are currently on the website so I would advise anyone considering it to print them off and read them very very carefully.

Distance places were lost this year through applicants not reading the critieria carefully enough.

The critieria have been tightened every year recently so what gets in this year may not still be in place in 3 years time. DG