QEB or DAO

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: QEB or DAO

Post by Daogroupie »

I am not aware of students being removed because of other students though I do know about students being removed because of themselves!

What years were these two students in who left because of other students? DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

My dd (Y 11) has friends at both schools and knows of several students who want to go elsewhere for A levels.

The general sense seems to be that QE is too rigid and doesn't cater for the non STEM boys, and that DAO has deteriorated a little, plus they won't allow 4 A levels. Those are the views her friends have expressed - (disclaimer - don't shoot the messenger!).
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Many grammars do not offer 4 A2 subjects, including most in Sutton/Kingston area. Some have even announced to change their policy from next year, if there was a small possibility to do 4 A2 from this year, Nonsuch for example.
tasha73

Post by tasha73 »

OP: Not sure if you are still undecided but thought it might be of interest to note that DAO have recently updated their behaviour policy.

There is now very specific reference to behaviours in lessons and around school as well as conduct outside of school (such as on transport) when wearing school uniform and representing the school.

Perhaps this is response to concerns raised about this issue over the last few years? Will be interesting to see how it is implemented in the new school year.

A positive and proactive step which demonstrates a school willing to improve standards and not just coast on previous reputation.
ritz667

Post by ritz667 »

I would strongly dis-agree that QE doesn't promote non stem subjects

My ds has just finished his A Levels

He loved the courses and the brilliant teaching.

A number say 30 to 40 boys will take science and maths due to the careers they will follow but a number take a least one A Level in a non stem subject

As for the choice between the two, take Qe for all the wonderful opportunities it gives, and the results it achieves.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi evmc!

Firstly, congratulations to you and your son: it's a wonderful choice he has earned for himself.

Where do you live, by the way? Is commuting time and convenience a consideration?

DAO and QE Boys are very, very different schools. DAO has girls. It has a large portion of pupils admitted without being academically selected in open competition. Its pupils’ behaviour is likely to vary. I have worked in schools and this really doesn’t help those who want to work and to get on; it is also a distraction for everyone and a strain on staff. I’m afraid this is a feature of partially selective schools – not every pupil is bothered, either about achievement or about their behaviour! We know a number of families who have chosen a fully selective state school over DAO and been very happy with the outcome.

QE Boys is a fine school of its type. But you need to be aware that your son may want to - or need to - move after Year 11 to do the combination of A Levels he wants. Or because he wants a different environment. We know boys who have left for a range of reasons at this stage and all have done very well elsewhere. We also know boys who have stayed at QE Boys and done very well.

Resilience? … Your child will learn about discipline, about high expectations, about the importance of consistent hard work, about ‘succeeding’ in a competitive environment, about finding what works for him in a microcosm of a ‘workplace’, about building acquaintanceships and friendships.

Earning a place at Q E boys means your boy is broadly suited to the work ethic and expectations of the school, with plenty of time and opportunity to grow and to grow up over the coming five or seven years.

We know quite a few QE Old Boys, many of them friends of our daughter, some older ones family friends of ours. Their personalities vary but they tend to be strong characters and they tend to be successful. They are pragmatic about their old school’s culture and recognise that the school got the best out of them, notwithstanding its absolute focus on its league table position.

Good luck with it all!
ebf3

Post by ebf3 »

piggys wrote:
The general sense seems to be that QE is too rigid and doesn't cater for the non STEM boys, and that DAO has deteriorated a little, plus they won't allow 4 A levels. Those are the views her friends have expressed - (disclaimer - don't shoot the messenger!).
I’m very late correcting this - but I think maybe some pupils in year 11 at DAO haven’t listened carefully enough! Anyone taking further maths for A level at DAO automatically does 4 A levels, and anyone else wanting to do 4 can still do so if they discuss it with the sixth form team. My son did four through the further maths route, and my daughter is starting four arts subjects in y12 at DAO in September. (Not because we think 4 is a good idea, but because she loves all 4 subjects and wants to try doing them all.) She might continue all for the full 2 years, or might end up doing just 3 to the final exam. It is up to her, the school is happy and they are not pushing her one way or another.

Interestingly, we also know someone who took 4 A levels, did the extended project and also went to lessons for a fifth A level, just because they were interested in the subject!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I have no personal knowledge of either school and I am sure that it is absolutely the case that no boy at fully selective QE is ever disengaged with his lessons and only the non-selective entry students at DAO ever are, but outside of leafy Herts there are plenty of hard-working and well-behaved bog standard comp students, not to mention the occasional badly behaved grammar school one :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
evmc

Post by evmc »

Thank you for your replies, especially Jean.Brodie. I must say if I'd really looked into QEB properly I'm not sure I would have entertained the idea of him going there. As I've already said its entirely my fault for not visiting the school before he got in. I should have investigated the A level cull a lot more which I don't think the school are really honest about - I've got most of my information about the school from this forum. We have both accepted he will probably be elsewhere for A levels. Both DAO and QEB are relatively easy to get to for us so the journey isn't really a factor. He is pragmatic about the school's culture and I'm sure the experience he gets there will equip him for the future in all manner of ways!
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

Has he started at QE now, evmc?

Are you still on the waiting list for DAO?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now