QEB or DAO

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
yesaar

Re: QEB or DAO

Post by yesaar »

I have one DS at QE and the other at DAO. Both schools are very good. I feel that DAO is a more lively environment with teachers being a bit more approachable, helping the students to build better rapport with them. Though my DS at QE is doing very well, he did mention some time ago that if he had to start from Y7 again, he would probably choose DAO to QE.
evmc

Post by evmc »

That's interesting to know. I do feel that if we get DAO we would probably not regret it - I guess that's why its first on our list. For reasons I've said my DS initially wanted QE over DAO. I'm inclined to think that we may stay on DAO list to see if we can get high enough up to be offered a place which I'm not sure we will do.

From the posts here I now am not so worried about QE also.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

As your friend's ds is there 845am to 34pm five days a week he probably does know more about the school than your friend!

Is your waiting list position 13?

In 2015 the waiting list moved 13 spaces and the last space was allocated on May 18th so if it does get to you there will be probably a bit of a wait and plenty of time to make your decision. DG
evmc

Post by evmc »

Thank you DG. I've followed lots of your posts and only wish I'd come across this forum earlier. Only came across it after getting results from QE and having no clue what it meant. Am unsure where we are on waiting list but were rank 125 - I'm not expecting to hear anything for some time so you're right, we have lots of time to decide.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you email DAO admissions with your rank and details they will send you your waiting list position.

There are two ranks gone somewhere between 111 and 130 and six ranks gone by the time it gets to the 140s so the two ranks might have gone before 125 or there might be fifteen between you and the last rank to get in. DG
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

loobylou wrote:
Some of the lessons, particularly in history, are acted out in the grounds or in other ways
Anyone else thinking Dead Poets Society? :D
evmc

Post by evmc »

Thanks DG, I see what you mean. I will email and ask and then I may have more of an idea about if we will even face the dilemma.
Webbol

Post by Webbol »

evmc wrote:.

He had a bit of a meltdown on the day of the DAO test so we didn’t think he had a hope of a place hence not visiting the school - that’s a very big mistake I know. My gut instinct is that DAO is better for him and I think it was his too initially.
If you are contacting the school about position on the waiting list, why not mention this? It can’t do any harm and they might be able to arrange something so that you can be more comfortable with your decision - if you have one.
evmc

Post by evmc »

Thanks webbol. I will mention this and see if they can make an exception and let us look around. I think that's the only way we will really be able to decide, if we need to.
tasha73

Post by tasha73 »

Both schools have their merits and I know children at both schools. I would definitely consider distance as travelling long distances can really make the school day tiring for students.

I would agree that DAO is quite relaxed and responsibility is placed upon the students to motivate themselves. Most teachers are willing to offer help and advice. But I am aware that behaviour in lessons has slipped over recent years and parents have removed their children. In at least 2 cases that I know of, the pastoral team were made aware but problems persist.

QEB does have a reputation for more rigid boundaries and high expectations but some students thrive on this and are able to achieve good results. As I understand it, the pastoral system has undergone much scrutiny and changes have been made to consider student well being.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now