QEB or DAO

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
evmc

QEB or DAO

Post by evmc »

Opinions re which you would choose would be really welcome or comments if you have DS/DD in either school. At the moment we are stuck as they are very different schools and there are bits of both schools that would suit but others not so.
mad?

Re: QEB or DAO

Post by mad? »

I'm sure you will get responses from parents at both schools shortly but do bear in mind they are from parents who are invested in believing they have made the right choice, no criticism of them we all do it :). What none of them know is your child or your personal circumstances. Personally (and I have no horse in this race) years on this forum :oops: would incline me to 1)DAO 2)the nearest. But then I do have girls...but if the choice was HBS/DAO my decision would be the same, unless one meant a journey of more than 30 mins. But that is me, and my child, only you know you and yours.
mad?
BizzyM

Post by BizzyM »

I don't really have much information about QE, though I did accept their offer. I have a few friends in DAO who really are not happy with the school. There seems to be a common theme of disruption in the classes and really little to counteract it. I do know someone that actually took her daughter out of the school last year due to unruly class behaviour which was affecting her daughter's concentration. But other sources are very keen on the school. Also it's coed which some parents prefer.

For some reason QE experience on this forum is scarce...I went with gut feeling. But again as Mad? Noted it really is down to your child as well as distance. Perhaps visit the school just one last time.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did your friend contact the school before removing their daughter?

I know students in every year in both schools and they are both very responsive to resolving any issues but can only do so if parents bring them to their attention.

OP, what decision did you make for your CAF form? I can see you are on the waiting list for DAO, did you put DAO first and QE second? Are you holding a QE place or are you on the waiting list for QE as well?

Which school does your ds prefer? DG
BizzyM

Post by BizzyM »

Daogroupie wrote:Did your friend contact the school before removing their daughter?

I know students in every year in both schools and they are both very responsive to resolving any issues but can only do so if parents bring them to their attention.

OP, what decision did you make for your CAF form? I can see you are on the waiting list for DAO, did you put DAO first and QE second? Are you holding a QE place or are you on the waiting list for QE as well?

Which school does your ds prefer? DG

I'd assume she would have contacted the school. But when there are disruptive individuals this can have a substantial affect on the rest of the class. Though I do stress that other mums are positive about the school. As i said...I cannot speak for QE but classes can have the odd pickle...it's the schools handling of such dilemmas that can ensure change.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Absolutely. But if the school is not informed then they cannot help resolve it.

There was a poster on here last year who had a dd who was unhappy and had been for sometime but the poster had not actually contacted the school about it.

OP, perhaps you can detail the issues you are talking about for each school and then parents can comment on them. DG
evmc

Post by evmc »

Thank you. DAO is first and QE second as I knew with his mark and thanks to this forum he definitely had a place at QE unless something dramatic happened. DS is very competitive but I worry QE is very stressful with main emphasis being on results especially when reading threads on this forum. I know someone in year 8 at DAO and although they like the school he doesn't think it's amazing and it seems very relaxed about lots of things. This would probably suit my DS in some ways but I don't think it brings out the best in him eg when there are disruptive classes etc. My gut instinct is DAO but I haven't actually seen the school as I never thought he would even get close to getting in. Very big mistake clearly! QE is closer to us although I think he can get the school bus locally to DAO.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

So are you thinking of going on the waiting list for QEB? I don't quite understand the dilemma? You can't be offered 2 schools, so DAO is the one you have been offered. Maybe unwise not to gave visited it before taking the exam & putting it first on the CAF, but that is where you are. Unless I am missing something? (Not from your area, just curious!)
scary mum
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think DAO is quite relaxed; I think children tend to have fun and enjoy things.
I can't compare it directly with QE but I feel that the school gives the students a lot of freedom and trusts them to behave - far more than in other secondary schools I know well. I think there are definitely children who take advantage of that and try to get away with behaving worse - I think the school is aware of that and does try well to manage it.
Personally I like the atmosphere of the school and that trust; others might prefer a more controlled environment.
It has taken my year 8 boy a while to settle down at DAO. From my perspective it seems that a number of the boys are quite immature on arrival and it takes a while for them to settle down. This is also the view of my children and it took ds a while to find the boys who, underneath the posturing and silliness, were like him. He now has a great group of friends. (Would this be different in a boys' school? I don't know).
I asked him about the disruption allegations. He says that he had some difficult characters in his teaching group in year 7. He feels that they were identified and their behaviour sanctioned quickly. But he feels at the beginning they got some peer approval whereas now everyone has grown up a bit more and things are much more settled.
I think it's hard if you've not visited. I wouldn't change anything really about the school and feel it's been hugely supportive of my children but I'm sure that other people would prefer another school.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The OP put DAO first despite not having seen it.

They are on the waiting list place 13 or possibly below so a very good change of a place as it usually goes at least 12 places.

They put QE second and got a high enough score to get in on March 1st so must be 231 and above.

So they have QE and are on the waiting list for DAO.

OP. So you missed the open day in July and also the tours that were on four mornings in October.

What are the interests of your ds? Sport, Music, Chess, Debating ,Drama.

Which subjects does he enjoy most? Science and Maths or English , History Geography?

I am fascinated to hear about the things that DAO are relaxed about? My inbox and voicemail tells a different story.

A student will not remain in any play, choir, orchestra or sports team if they miss rehearsals.

There are students and parents at the school who do not participate in anything and prefer to keep at arms length from the school.

Then there are those who contribute with their time and their energy in class, on the sports field and in the Orchestras and the Choirs and debating and Chess teams and drama productions.

What type of parent are you and what type of student is your ds?

There must be a reason you put DAO first despite your friends not being happy with the school? DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now