Henrietta Barnett what scores?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Grammarwannabe

Henrietta Barnett what scores?

Post by Grammarwannabe »

Hi there,
I am thinking about trying for Henrietta Barnett. Bought some Bond papers. Daughter got 60 percent on maths and 65 on English. Does anyone know with these sorts of scores at this point (mid May), the exam is in September, whether she is in with a chance? What sort of scores using Bond would correspond to a chance at getting in? What sorts of scores did other daughters get and how quickly did they progress? Can’t afford tutor. Any hints greatly appreciated.
Daogroupie

Re: Henrietta Barnett what scores?

Post by Daogroupie »

Only 300 girls go through to the second round out of around 2400.

Many of those who go through will have been working hard for a long time.

Scores in the 90 percents will be required to get through the first round CEM.

English and Maths scores in the 60s in Bond papers will be some way off the required level.

What other options do you have?

The work you will need to do will have a great impact on your dd's Maths and English levels and your time might be better put to working for other selective schools.

Non catchment schools are very popular so a backup plan is needed. DG
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Are you doing traditional Bond English, or the Bond book for CEM style V.R.?

HBS first round is CEM. If you've never practised it before, it can be a shock to the system!

And that's before you try and get a score that puts you in the top 12-15%
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

Definitely stick to CEM, the hardest hurdle is getting through to Round 2. The scores for Round 1 are VERY tight, marking is to two decimal places. Making an error on one just question could make the difference if she goes through or not. Make sure your dd checks every question carefully.
Grammarwannabe

Post by Grammarwannabe »

Thank you. I wasn’t aware of the differences between GL and CEM. I see that CGP books are for the CEM test. In terms of the English paper, the book I have used is Bond Verbal Reasoning - standard test papers pack 1. How much time a week should I aim to spend on this? Again thanks for the hints.
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

HBS round 1 is ONLY CEM - English and Numerical Reasoning. Do not waste any time on standard verbal reasoning if HBS is your priority. As mentioned, the cut off is brutal and so you must put all of your energy into this aspect if you want to stand any chance.

With regard to difficulty, DD said (and this was 2 years ago) that the questions were, relatively, straightforward but it is the timing that is the killer. THe first time she did a FPTP Numerical Reasoning test, she got in the low single figures out of 20 when done to time. It was a real shock. She had to work and work to get her speed up. At this stage, you should be working to the very tight time scales specified in the papers - you are doing your DD no favours by giving her extra time.

Of course, you must also work on long English and Maths because the second round exam is very shortly afterwards but, if you don't get through first round, you won't need this anyway.

Stokers
food4thought

Post by food4thought »

Hello,

I'm trying to home tutor my daugter for HBS.... please could you explain what you mean by:
FPTP Numerical Reasoning test, what does FPTP stand for?
what is the difference between CEM English and Numerical Reasoning and standard verbal reasoning? I'm worried I might teach her all the wrong stuff :cry:

F4T
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

food4thought wrote:Hello,

I'm trying to home tutor my daugter for HBS.... please could you explain what you mean by:
FPTP Numerical Reasoning test, what does FPTP stand for?
what is the difference between CEM English and Numerical Reasoning and standard verbal reasoning? I'm worried I might teach her all the wrong stuff :cry:

F4T
This page might help https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ld-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(FPTP is First Past the Post I think, available to order from EPE)
scary mum
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

First Past The Post is the publishing name used by the owners of this website.

We used their "standard" practice papers when prepping DS for QE. They were good quality. Don't know what their CEM materials are like.

But yes, for HBS you MUST use CEM Verbal Reasoning - not standard. CEM is more about English than what was traditionally thought of as VR.

The difference between CEM Numerical Reasoning and standard maths is one of "look" and question style. Mathematical content is the same. Maths is Maths!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now