Languages at Latymer

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
schlumpf

Languages at Latymer

Post by schlumpf »

Hi - could any existing Latymer parents enlighten me on what the policy/procedure is at Latymer for bilingual children (French/German)?

I heard that in the past (long time ago), parents were asked by letter around April/May to state whether their child was bilingual French/German and those who replied positively were put in a class to ensure they first learned the other language. Is this still the case?

lemondrop

Re: Languages at Latymer

Post by lemondrop »

schlumpf wrote:Hi - could any existing Latymer parents enlighten me on what the policy/procedure is at Latymer for bilingual children (French/German)?

I heard that in the past (long time ago), parents were asked by letter around April/May to state whether their child was bilingual French/German and those who replied positively were put in a class to ensure they first learned the other language. Is this still the case?

Hello, yes it's still the case, so if for example your child is bilingual in English and German they will be put in a form where they learn French in Y7. In Y8 they take a second language of their choosing out of French, German, Russian and Latin and learn the two languages until the end of Y9 when they make their GCSE choices. They have to pick one MFL (ie not Latin) for GCSE but could do 2 (including Latin) if they wish using one of their two free choices.

I hope that's helped, if you have other questions please do ask.
schlumpf

Post by schlumpf »

Thanks Lemondrop, very helpful as always. I'll be looking out for that letter then.
lemondrop

Post by lemondrop »

It won't be a letter as such, you will get a huge pack of documents and forms to fill in - believe me you will need a stiff drink after going through it all! Anyway, one of the forms will ask if your DC is bilingual in French or German and you either tick a box or write it in, can't remember which, and then your DC will be allocated a form group that studies the other language in Y7. So next year Ashworth, Dolbe and Keats will be doing French and Lamb, Latymer and Wyatt will be doing German.

I believe they are sending the pack out over the Easter holidays so not long to wait now.
cuyocksol

Post by cuyocksol »

So lemondrop from what you say i gather 7 Dolbé will be doing French from this September?
Thanks
CustardCream

Post by CustardCream »

Yes, Year 7 Dolbe, Keats and Ashworth will do French from Sept, whereas the other three houses will do German. Pack arrived for some people today I believe. Don't forget the fete is tomorrow if you are interested!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thank you.

What are the timings and is there plenty of parking? DG
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Daogroupie wrote: What are the timings and is there plenty of parking? DG
It’s on from 12 till 4. They have plenty of food stalls so you can get lunch. I think you can park in the part of the playground that doesn’t have any stalls, usually there is plenty of room.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now