Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 9:11 am 

Guest55 wrote:
Pe - some groups of students give something back to the school rather than thinking only of themselves.

TBH by the time we had finished with one school I think there was nothing to give back - DC couldn't get away fast enough . :oops:

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:03 am 

I have to say that on the odd occasion when pupils have behaved badly, it has meant a lot of hard work for the maintenance staff. I think that if they could see people older than their parents trying to scrub off graffiti they would feel quite bad (of any age obviously, but particularly older people). Fortunately, these instances have been rare.

At DD's school, the whole of Year 11 got together in the canteen and were given a free lunch. I thought that was a nice touch, given the lack of funds.

Just before DS left (Year 13) an email was sent out about pranks. Something must have happened a while back and now it's frowned upon. As far as I'm aware, they all celebrated by taking their teachers out to dinner.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:19 am 

School organizing lunch or breakfast for the leavers.
Leavers signing old shirt for each other.
Leavers writing Thank You cards or notes to the teachers.
Leavers assembly watching photos of their time at school, especially school trips, sports days etc.
Motivational speeches by teachers and SLT for the coming exams and life thereafter.

And as KS10 posted, leavers taking their teachers out or giving them some presents.

After 5 or 7 years in school, leavers deserve a nice send-off.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:28 am 

Yes, TB, all of the above is normal for a leaving day. It is an important day for everyone - shame some students want to spoil it. I've heard some horrendous tales - people ending up in A & E, weedkiller used on the grass, graffiti, ...

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:39 am 

Quote:
I've heard some horrendous tales - people ending up in A & E, weedkiller used on the grass, graffiti, ...

But these things won't happen in QE. Boys have gone through a tough regime and hopefully love the facilities.

Worse is if some one let their stress and grievances, if any, in plain language. But are leavers allowed to make farewell speeches?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:46 am 

Yes, some speeches by students where I've taught.

I think those sort of pranks are more likely in a school where students are kept 'under the thumb'. You'd be shocked at the names of schools where some of these things have happened ..

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:12 pm 

( ¯ ö¯ )

Sorry. Too tired to read the fantasy horror stories.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:48 pm 

Optical illusion - someone yawning or someone whose eyes are just above the nose and with eyebrows far apart?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 10:53 pm 

Guest55 wrote:
Yes, TB, all of the above is normal for a leaving day. It is an important day for everyone - shame some students want to spoil it. I've heard some horrendous tales - people ending up in A & E, weedkiller used on the grass, graffiti, ...

Weed killer on grass is so dumb.. it's far better using a fertiliser, you can write something with it and it isn't noticeable until the grass is cut, suddenly big green slogan :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:18 am 

The weedkiller was applied in a 'design' which was not noticed until several days after the event.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next