MHCHS - Dance Apttitude exam

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SMA

MHCHS - Dance Apttitude exam

Post by SMA »

Dear parents ,

Please can anyone help me ? My son had applied for Dance aptitude test at MHCHS. I am not aware of what to be expected in the exam except the information provided by the school.

Any parents whose son or daughter got selected in the Dance aptitude test ? Please can you kindly throw some light on what kind of Dance or style is expected ?

Many thanks in advance ,
Kindest regards
bashful

Re: MHCHS - Dance Apttitude exam

Post by bashful »

I suggest you post in the Hertfordshire (Other & North London) Forum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Moved and other duplicate threads removed.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I know two people who have passed this - both a little while ago now, one is on year 13 and the other in year 10.
One had formal ballet and tap lessons and was the equivalent of about grade 3-ish in both
The other did a lot of acting and did some modern dance as part of that. I don't think she had any formal qualifications in dance.
Hope that helps a bit.
I think there is someone on here whose child got a dance place a couple of years ago so might know more about it.
SMA

Post by SMA »

Thank you so much for your input. Much appreciated !
My son doesn't have any formal training but have a flair and a great talent for dancing .

I am hoping if any other parents can give me some guidance!

Kindest regards
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If it is aptitude the school says it is looking for, not ability, then to comply with the Admissions Code, it must use an assessment designed to assess aptitude. So formal classes, grade exams etc should not be relevant.

If the school suggests any grades achieved as being a necessary requirement, then it is not aptitude it is assessing.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SMA

Post by SMA »

Thank you very much for your reply ! Much appreciated !
piggys

Post by piggys »

SMA wrote: My son doesn't have any formal training but have a flair and a great talent for dancing .
He will be expected to a) pick up a routine very speedily and b) choreograph an extension to a piece they teach on the day. Can he do this? My dd won a dance place as did some of her friends but they are all at the same dance school and well established on the competition circuit.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:
SMA wrote: My son doesn't have any formal training but have a flair and a great talent for dancing .
He will be expected to a) pick up a routine very speedily and b) choreograph an extension to a piece they teach on the day. Can he do this? My dd won a dance place as did some of her friends but they are all at the same dance school and well established on the competition circuit.
Do you mean, actually using notation to choreograph the section, or just demonstrate how the piece should continue? If the former, does the earlier part include a 'crash course' in the required notation to see how quickly the candidates can pick it up?

If the answers are, in order, Yes, No, No, then it doesn't sound like aptitude that is being assessed...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I'm fairly certain the answers are No, Yes, Not relevant!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now