11+ Entrance date clashes

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ToadMum

Re: 11+ Entrance date clashes

Post by ToadMum »

Okay, never mind the date clashes, spot the breach of the Admissions Code...

Admissions Policy
'All candidates applying to the school must have their main address in one of the following postcodes: '

http://www.latymer.co.uk/registration/a ... ion19.aspx
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Who is advising Latymer? How can they get it so wrong so many times....?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

This whole thing just looks wrong (from the Latymer SIF website):

=========================

Admissions Policy
All candidates applying to the school must have their main address in one of the following postcodes:
E2, E4, E5, E8, E9, E17
EN1, EN2, EN3, EN4, EN5 Sectors 1, 2, 4, 5, ONLY
EN8 Sectors 7, 8, 9, ONLY
N1 (not N1C), N2, N3, N4, N5, N6, N7, N8, N9, N10, N11, N12,
N13, N14, N15, N16, N17, N18, N19, N20, N21, N22
If you move house at any time during the process, please inform us in writing immediately. If you move out of the Inner Area it is unlikely that we will be able to take your application further. [My emphasis]

For families living outside of the Inner Area: If there is a possibility of offering your child a place at the school, please tick the box to indicate your willingness to move to the Inner Area by 11 January 2019. Please refer to the guidance notes below.

====================

The school cannot refuse to process an application because a child moves out of the Inner Area.

Also I doubt the school can refuse to process an application because the parent hasn't indicated willingness to move to the Inner Area. All that matters is whether or not they are in the Inner Area on 11 January.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Exam tourism is the scourge of these schools. I think it's awful.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think they would wriggle out of that one by quoting the words 'applying to the school'. If you are applying to sit the test you are not theoretically applying for a place at the school. You can't restrict who can sit the test, as I understand it.

And yes, I know, I know... :roll: :!:
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I don't think the school can stop people applying to it (if by applying they mean including it on the CAF). You might not meet its admission criteria but it can't refuse to let you name the school, can it?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

piggys wrote:Exam tourism is the scourge of these schools. I think it's awful.
But the SIF actually refers to

'All candidates applying to the school...'

Which is in contravention of the Admissions Code,

Para 15(d) of the Introduction to the Admissions Code, includes the statement, 'a parent can apply for a place place or their child at any state-funded school in any area'

Does no-one on the Admissions Sub-committee think it worth taking at least a brief look through the Code? Or do you think they look, but assume that for some reason it just doesn't apply to them?

An appeal panel finding that a school's Admissions arrangements were unlawful is likely to end in said school wondering whether Ikea does bulk buy deals on desks and chairs?

Amber and streathammum, I'm not sure that they can refuse to let any child register to sit the exam - and the bit about ticking the box to say you're going to move into area indicates that they are actually differentiating between registering to sit the test (by completing and submitting the SIF) and applying for a place.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I really don't understand what the point of ticking the box is. The school has to process the application the same way whether or not you've ticked the box.

The language around 'application' and 'process' is unclear - it's hard to tell whether they are talking about the application to sit the test (it's on the website to apply for the test) or the application to the school (the page talks about the admissions criteria for the school).

It's really messy and just opening the school up to problems later down the line.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

If the Latymer admissions policy is included in Enfield's composite prospectus, then one would think that the LA's legal team would have given it at least a a cursory glance, too, before it was published.

Things do slip through sometimes, though.