Feedback from Latymer backup day Wed 12th Sept 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Feedback from Latymer backup day Wed 12th Sept 2018

Post by Daogroupie »

Reports that the day went smoothly despite the fact it was a school day.

Approx 200 students were present and there was a different English paper from the other two, another good choice. DG
yoyo123

Re: Feedback from Latymer backup day Wed 12th Sept 2018

Post by yoyo123 »

For thise contributing to this topic, can we please remind you not to post actual details of the test
Thank you,
Moderators
Walthams

Post by Walthams »

200 pupils?? Did all 200 suddenly fall ill on the day of the exam on Sep 12? This is glaring unfairness if they had the same maths and vr paper. The kids who sit the same exam on back up day have on average 10% higher scores than the first sitters. Does a school such as Latymer not know it or not care?
Yes

Post by Yes »

Walthams wrote:200 pupils?? Did all 200 suddenly fall ill on the day of the exam on Sep 12?
I'm surprised the number is not higher!
All children who sat the test for DAO, and are at the end of alphabet (at least after letter "sto" at least), and apply for Latymer, faced this clash.
Out of 4 children from our school, who sat both tests, 3 were in clash.
Italian

Post by Italian »

Walthams wrote:200 pupils?? Did all 200 suddenly fall ill on the day of the exam on Sep 12? This is glaring unfairness if they had the same maths and vr paper. The kids who sit the same exam on back up day have on average 10% higher scores than the first sitters. Does a school such as Latymer not know it or not care?
I was surprised too by the number. How did you get the 10%, as it is making me a bit worried now, and the process really unfair.
Italian

Post by Italian »

Also do we know for certain that Latymer didn't change the VR and Math papers at this point as they had more than a week to sort it out
finaljourney

Post by finaljourney »

For everyone's information, the maths and Vr was okay - unlike what the children who sat the tests on Saturday felt ( they felt it was sooo easy). They got a different English paper. So where's the unfairness?
At the end of the day it's how well they fair and the scores they achieve. I as a parent am worried. I keep saying what if he sat on the same day as his DAO paper?

Now it's a waiting game. So stop trying to find fault with the school. At the end of the day, they were fair and accommodated everyone.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Of course it was fair.

All the students who had the clash with the DAO exam were moved onto this day.

Latymer are to be congratulated for offering this date in the middle of the school week so that students could sit both exams. DG
Yes

Post by Yes »

Just I'm not sure everyone used this option. Their admission policy clearly states that tests clash is not the reason for moving the test day.
Wouldn't it better not to create this situation at all? It was clear from the beginning, that clash is possible.
Walthams

Post by Walthams »

Italian wrote:
Walthams wrote:200 pupils?? Did all 200 suddenly fall ill on the day of the exam on Sep 12? This is glaring unfairness if they had the same maths and vr paper. The kids who sit the same exam on back up day have on average 10% higher scores than the first sitters. Does a school such as Latymer not know it or not care?
I was surprised too by the number. How did you get the 10%, as it is making me a bit worried now, and the process really unfair.
I think I've read some time ago in relation to CEM exam in Warwickshire that it was found that late sitters scored on average 10% higher which proved there was a serious flaw in the system that used the same paper for a back up date.

We have heard here in the forum that the English papers used were different for each sitting which is reassuring, but there is no certainty that the GL Maths and vr papers were different..??