Link will only work for a week or so.
ilelo

Re: Latymer School talk for parents at recent open evening

Post by ilelo »

Thanks
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

I’d be interested to know what others thought of it. I wondered why the head emphasised the co-ed issue so much. Also talks by a head girl and 2 y7 girls - no boys in sight. It has possibly made it tricky to get our lad enthusiastic about working for the exam next year....
llhj

Post by llhj »

I think it is because they actually have more boys than they wish to and some girls choose HBS or St Michael's in preference.
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

exam2019 wrote:I’d be interested to know what others thought of it. I wondered why the head emphasised the co-ed issue so much. Also talks by a head girl and 2 y7 girls - no boys in sight. It has possibly made it tricky to get our lad enthusiastic about working for the exam next year....
It did raise a lot of questions in my DS' head. He said why are they saying that girls are equally good in maths as all the girls I know like and enjoy maths.

I agree with importance of Co-Ed education and she was right in saying that it is a very important life skill children learn in their growing up years. However, I found the emphasis a bit OTT.
Thank you,

Worrybot
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The direct competition for Latymer for girls is not HBS or St Ms but DAO.

All the dds I know of from Barnet, Enfield and Islington sit both.

Now Latymer has abandoned CEM the exam formats are almost the same with the exception of Latymer using VR and DAO using CEM.

You would prepare for their English and Maths papers in exactly the same way.

This makes it reasonably straightforward to sit both. DG
tomum

Post by tomum »

I agree with DG, there are other schools who take only boys too, but still boys number is higher at latymer. This is may may be due to at 11+ boys do better than girls.
the moto of the school is the school is to have equal number of boys and girls without standardising with sex. so the only way to do is to encourage more girls to apply and not surprised when the head encourage for more girls. I believe latymer girls will not be shocked in the latter life to work in male dominated environment.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Dd2 spent seven years in primary school in a class with 20 boys and 10 girls.

It has had all sorts of benefits. She has lots of friends who happen to be boys and lots of boys confide in her. She also does not have any romantic notions about boys.

Boys are not better at the 11 plus than girls but girls tend to do better at Creative Writing so when Latymer went 100% CEM with no standard format and Creative Writing that is when the boys outnumbering girls started to become a problem.

I know a boy in Y9 who only has 25% girls in his class. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It is heartening to hear that your DD saw her pool of potential friends being 29 boys and girls, not just the 9 girls in the year group. Something that really makes me want to scream is when mothers of girls complain that their little darling won't have many friends at school, because there are more boys than girls in her class :evil: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ditto TM and having taught two boy heavy classes recently am bored of that refrain. :roll:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now