Latymer School talk for parents at recent open evening

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

exam2019

Re: Latymer School talk for parents at recent open evening

Post by exam2019 »

Daogroupie wrote:Boys are not better at the 11 plus than girls but girls tend to do better at Creative Writing so when Latymer went 100% CEM with no standard format and Creative Writing that is when the boys outnumbering girls started to become a problem.
That's why I thought it was odd that the talk was so heavily weighted towards the girls. If it is co-ed I'd like to see it marketed as such - equality for both sexes. If it had been conversely slanted towards boys, I would have been equally curious BTW!
hexic

Post by hexic »

For context, the head gave the same message last year and this year's intake was, in contrast to higher years, virtually 50-50. So perhaps she has seen it makes a very welcome difference.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

hexic wrote:For context, the head gave the same message last year and this year's intake was, in contrast to higher years, virtually 50-50. So perhaps she has seen it makes a very welcome difference.
Maybe - I wonder if next year's numbers will have girls as the majority then?!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The Head's message is not the reason the intake has returned to 50/50.

It is because Latymer has abandoned CEM and returned to standard format English and Composition which is an area that girls tend to do better in. DG
hexic

Post by hexic »

Actually, that's not so. By this year, I meant the current Y7 . Their year had a head's talk which stressed co-education in July 16, took the CEM exam in Sept 16, and started in Sept 2017 with an intake close to 50-50. I don't know what the incoming y7 ratio is, which is the first non-CEM year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now