DAO exams Sep 18

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: DAO exams Sep 18

Post by loobylou »

In addition there are still some secondary schools that have LSA/TAs in every class. My dh's school managed that till 2 years ago though with finding cuts they are now only in 1/3 of the classes - however all children with lower level needs are put in those classes so they can access that TA support as well. DAO appears to use its TAs/LSAs for specific children eg those with visual impairments or behavioural support needs.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

For some reason, the saying involving holes and the discontinuation of excavation activities has just sprung into my mind.

I'm sure the other schools in the area appreciate the HT there giving those whose DC have SEN the heads up, though. Does a direct query to the SENCo receive the response that s/he is sure that the child in question would be far happier at a rival establishment?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There is a difference between TAs who support a group of children and LSAs who are part of a support package for one child.
Balfron

Post by Balfron »

The Head’s talk was inspiring. She showcased the broad range of opportunities and oozed with dedication to the cause. She seemed human, professional, pretty warm.
I do think she needs to revise the SEN wording. It’s borderline against the law I thought. She said there’s one SENCO and a small team.
I loved the school. Slightly uncordinated in the entrance area but part of that was the teachers appearing a bit fraught about the tours. It was very hot and very busy.
My DS loved the science classrooms and my younger one loudly announced the seating area near the 6th form dining room looked like a pub.
The cleaners went out of their way to show us where the toilets were. The whole place felt just lovely.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Rubik wrote:She said there’s one SENCO and a small team.
I suppose if DAO had significantly less funding than other local schools for SEN provision then that would be fair enough, but I suspect it doesn't - I imagine that the other schools the head said would suit SEN children better have the same SEN funding as DAO.

It's disappointing as I'd always imagined DAO to be an inclusive and welcoming community school with a child-focussed culture.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Every school has 'just' one SENCo so that is a poor reason. Funding follows the SEN support through EHCPs.

I hope someone who was there and heard what was said will follow this up.
piggys

Post by piggys »

Rubik wrote:. She seemed human
Well I suppose that is reassuring.
Rubik wrote:It’s borderline against the law I thought.
And yet it was "just lovely" :?
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

I can't quite believe the exam is in 2 weeks' time, I feel like we're in a state of suspended reality...

DS is slowly getting the hang of creative writing & comprehension, he has come a long way since he first started preparing.

What happens on the day remains to be seen...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Good Luck to your ds.

DAO do a very good job at making the students feel comfortable. They play games with them to settle them down and lots of sixth formers are there to help. DG
Etondad

Post by Etondad »

Good luck to all those sitting the DAO exams tomorrow & Monday...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now