Starting at latymer with low Sats results

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Izzybella

Starting at latymer with low Sats results

Post by Izzybella »

My daughter passed for Latymer in top 190 but received her sats results yesterday and she just missed the greater depth by one mark in both maths and reading. I am a bit worried as to what latymer will think to this and a bit baffled as to how she did so poorly. i know they are not terrible in the overall picture but for her they are low and I do not know what to think. Anyone else ever been in this position. Her marks were high in the mock ones they did in school.
Albatross

Re: Starting at latymer with low Sats results

Post by Albatross »

I wouldn’t worry about this at all from a secondary school point of view. My impression is that secondary schools in general, including Latymer, don’t pay much (if any) attention to SATs results, especially in relation to how they think of individual children. At Latymer they don’t put them in sets for anything except PE in year 7 anyway, so results wouldn’t even affect that.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

They will probably be happy with this as its well above 100 [Secondary ready - awful phrase!] but it will be easier for them to show progress than if the score was 120!

I've taught children with KS2 'old' level 3 in a GS ... don't worry.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They will be much more interested in what she does when she gets there than what happened in the past.

If she got a score high enough to be in the top 190 and get straight in she certainly will do very well there if she applies herself. DG
tomum

Post by tomum »

I agree with all what is replied.
Lets be honest one who saw the result may question how come she is top 190 and got the result in SAT.
Izzybella

Post by Izzybella »

Thanks for these reassurances. It is strange and I do not know what to say to her yet. She will be asking me tonight. I just felt anxious that maybe she won't be able to keep up. She hasn't done any work for these tets at all at home and i just assumed she would do well.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Don't comment at all apart from the fact she's got well above average - 109 is a great score :)

Please don't put any doubt in her mind - presumably her teacher assessments will be high anyway? They are conducted over a longer period and are probably more accurate.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Tell her just what you just said.

It was a different format that she did not prepare for because it did not matter. She got the school she wanted and the school will prepare her for all exams formats from now on so nothing to worry about.

Eyes on the prize. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Daogroupie wrote:It was a different format that she did not prepare for because it did not matter.
Sorry but that is a truly shocking statement DG!

KS2 tests are important for both the Primary school and the Secondary - I would have thought you would understand this.

Her score is fine and nothing to worry about :) Don't make excuses ..
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Guest55 wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:It was a different format that she did not prepare for because it did not matter.
Sorry but that is a truly shocking statement DG!

KS2 tests are important for both the Primary school and the Secondary - I would have thought you would understand this.
Is it really all that shocking?

From the perspective of the primary school, yes it affects performance stats.

But for the child who studied hard to peak the previous September (and, let's be honest, for many parents) SATs coming 8 months after 11+ exams and 2 months after school allocations, means that there is little motivation to take them seriously.

I assume that Latymer, like other GSs in the area, will have a small but significant intake from prep schools - those children may not even have taken the SATs.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now