Starting at latymer with low Sats results

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Starting at latymer with low Sats results

Post by Guest55 »

yoyo123 wrote:https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... asures.pdf

Also primary schools unless independent or academies are forbidden to help with 11+ prep.
Private schools in Bucks cannot help either if they want to be Partner schools [ie have the children sit the test in their own school]
Izzybella

Post by Izzybella »

Guest55 wrote:No, with respect, your sister is wrong. It's actually good for Latymer that she got 109 ! Her progress to good GCSEs will get her a higher Progress 8 than if she had got 110 .... even for exactly the same grades :)
Yes that is what I clumsily meant, that she will be flagged up and they will be driving her hard to make the progress. Worried that she will pressured. I know this is small problem in life and I making a fuss but it was a difficult conversation to have with my dd and I feel unsure myself if this school is the right spot now. Not that there is any choice!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

She won't be flagged up at all! That's not how tracking works, it only 'flags' children if they are achieving below minimum targets.

Please relax - she has done well. They would only worry if she scored under 100 ...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Latymer will drive everyone hard to make progress. With a lower (and it is only slightly lower so I suspect all the anxiety is on your part, not hers) starting point, if she ends up with the same grades as someone who started on 110, (which is entirely feasible) her Progress 8 score will be better - and make Latymer look better.

Whether you diyed or tutored, I suspect you did some practise for the Latymer test - she was possibly better prepared - the SATs have a completely national cohort - therefore maybe, she did well in the cohort who select Latymer but nationally did less well - there are always brighter people out there - the 11+ test is not infallible - it doesn't just pull out the brightest and best, hence the number of appeals each year - and surprises for parents who assume their child is top of the tree!

Stop panicking. Let her realise she has done well - let her realsie that when she gets to secondary, there will be children brighter than her - there will be subjects she finds easier and some that are more difficult. She will have to put the work in and won't be allowed to coast but they are not going to targetting her as being weak with that score. Do not let your anxiety spoil the summer and the start of the year for her!!

Crossed with Guest...
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Every year we have children who passed 11+ but are allegedly " Not secondary ready" , even though we know they are more than capable having seen their school work for years.

Relax!
TommyD

Post by TommyD »

I don't suppose Latymer will be bothered in the slightest. They will see all our children, and teach them, speak to them, assess them, and make up their own minds - not based on some little test they did for which they may or may not have worked particularly.
monkeypops

Post by monkeypops »

I think I've read somewhere that this year they can only use the term "greater depth" for writing and all other areas are officially no higher than exs. Of course, unofficially I've also read that a score of 110 or over is gds. The main thing is that your daughter has done amazingly well!
isthisonetaken

Post by isthisonetaken »

Izzybella - I would concur with many other posters - don't worry about the SATs score. It says far more about how year 6 has been tedious and boring for bright pupils at most, if not all primary schools. My DD has been similarly bored and under-motivated, though managed to score a little higher in the SATS. Virtually zero topic work or even written work and a focus (to obsessive levels) of getting struggling children over the pass line for the pretty mechanical SPAG / Maths tests are the priority for primary schools - they have a lot riding on it! (Apparently, they spend literally months going over place values in Maths - surely they should have done this by say year 3 or 4 ?!) Children that prepared well for the selective exams during year 5 will have covered everything that is "new" in the year 6 "curriculum". I'm sure Latymer can't believe their luck in having a lower base from which to eventually measure progress 8, and your DD will do very well there. She has proved herself in a much more meaningful exam IMHO, and will soon be flourishing again in what will be the right environment for her.