Last minute advices for MHCHS

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Yes

Last minute advices for MHCHS

Post by Yes »

MHCHS was not on our priority list, but apparently my son is very good on NVR papers. He has finished GL pack 1 and 2, GCP book with assessment tests, Lett's 11a and first test from Bond Pack One. Till test day he has Lett's 11b, 11c and 11d, and the rest of Bond Pack 1. Is it enough or is it necessary to search for something more challenging instead?
Also I gave him 10 minutes CGP test1 (CEM format) - I know that MHCHS is doing GL, but I had this book and gave him just to do one test every day to be aware and he is scoring 100% every day on them and even getting fun out of them. Should I switch him to daily CGP GL and Spatial books or it is ok to stay on 10 min CEM?

For VR - are Bond, CGP, GL tests enough or something more challenging is required?
Last edited by Yes on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
piggys

Re: Last minute advices for MHCHS

Post by piggys »

Yes wrote:MHCHS was not on our priority list, but apparently my son is very good on NVR papers?
Your post doesn't really make sense. Your thread title seeks 'advices' (sic) for MHCHS yet you begin your thread by saying that school is not on your priority list. This being the case, why would you want your dc to take the exam, thus generating more pointless work for the marking staff?

Have you visited the school and researched it? worked out the journey times and looked at their extra-curricular programme? Why do an exam for a school you aren't interested in?

Or perhaps you are saying that your ds's proficiency in NVR makes him an ideal candidate and you have only just realised?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think the OP is saying that they knew less about the MHCHS requirements but have now realised that their ds is well suited to that exam because of its NVR. That's how I read it anyway.
OP, it is the only N London school I know of to use NVR so if your ds is very good at that, it is a good exam to focus on.
Don't forget though that the NVR only gets counter of the VR mark is high enough to be in the top 300 (I think. It's been a while since we did it). If your D's is that good at NVR I'd stop and just focus on the VR so he gets a chance to use his NVR (assuming no formats have changed in the last 3 years).
Good luck!
Yes

Post by Yes »

piggys wrote:
Yes wrote:MHCHS was not on our priority list, but apparently my son is very good on NVR papers?
Your post doesn't really make sense. Your thread title seeks 'advices' (sic) for MHCHS yet you begin your thread by saying that school is not on your priority list. This being the case, why would you want your dc to take the exam, thus generating more pointless work for the marking staff?

Have you visited the school and researched it? worked out the journey times and looked at their extra-curricular programme? Why do an exam for a school you aren't interested in?

Or perhaps you are saying that your ds's proficiency in NVR makes him an ideal candidate and you have only just realised?
I will need to improve my knowledge of English so mu thoughts could be expressed in better way :lol:
Yes, it was what I meant - he has made a big work during this year on English, Math and especially VR, so he basically didn't have time for NVR. I have registered him to sit the test, but was not sure he will go. I have researched a school, commuting as well is not a problem - out of all schools this is probably easiest to reach (all four North London schools are 20 min bus + 15 minutes walk), but different test format and small intake made the school to stay at the bottom of our priority list till now.
My son tried first NVR test less than 2 month before; without any induction he managed to get over 80%. Next papers have been even better, all 10 minutes tests he is doing on 100%. Fresh example - this morning he has done 2 10 minutes tests - 100% with comment "it was fun" (I wish to get the same comment about comprehension!)
loobylou wrote:
Yes wrote:I think the OP is saying that they knew less about the MHCHS requirements but have now realised that their ds is well suited to that exam because of its NVR. That's how I read it anyway.
OP, it is the only N London school I know of to use NVR so if your ds is very good at that, it is a good exam to focus on.
Don't forget though that the NVR only gets counter of the VR mark is high enough to be in the top 300 (I think. It's been a while since we did it). If your D's is that good at NVR I'd stop and just focus on the VR so he gets a chance to use his NVR (assuming no formats have changed in the last 3 years).
Good luck!
Yes, you have got my point right. :D
He is good in VR, especially in codes, sequences, all what is related to logic. Obviously he is weaker on vocabulary (English is only the third language in our family); but again, I would say he is always over 80%, some tests over 90%. He has made huge work this summer preparing to VR CEM for DAO and GL for Latymer tests, so his vocabulary has improved (again, I wish his comprehension would improve in same way!).

This is the reason why I'm seeking advice here on tweaking our last-moment preparation.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now