Latymer - Invitation Letter

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kwy

Latymer - Invitation Letter

Post by kwy »

Hi All,

I would like to know if anyone receive invitation letter for test arrangement of Latymer exam on 2nd September 2018. I have received only confirmation email when I applied for exam on 27 June. After that no email from Latymer. As per Admission Procedure in their website, invitation letter will be sent and photo id might be needed. They don't specify when they will send the invitation letter. Contrast to QE which clearly stat that details of test arrangement will be sent by email 1 week before the test date. I tried to call Latymer on 20 July 18, before summer holiday, unfortunately no one pick up the phone. I left the message of my queries and my contact phone no. on voicemail. But I have not received any reply yet. Could any one clarify my queries especially DG please. Thank you in anticipation.

Regards,

KWY
priyakheterpal

Re: Latymer - Invitation Letter

Post by priyakheterpal »

From Laytmer website:

Admission Arrangements for 2019 Year 5 parents who have completed our online registration form will receive notification of the test date and time by email. You will receive this email by late August 2018

They haven't sent any emails yet.
kwy

Post by kwy »

Thanks Priyakheterpal.

Regards,

KWY
kwy

Post by kwy »

Hi Priya,

I checked again Latymer Admission Arrangement 2019. I do not see any date as late August to send for Invitation Letter. Please see the extract below. Could you please confirm where do you see the statement that invitation letter will be sent in late August. Many Thanks.

Regards,

KWY

THE LATYMER SCHOOL ADMISSION PROCEDURES FOR ACADEMIC YEAR 2019

The Test All registered candidates will receive an invitation letter in order of surname detailing the date and time of their test. Candidates will be required to produce photographic ID on the day of the test. Further instructions will be included in the invitation letter.
Test Date Sunday 2 September 2018. In the event of the school not having capacity to test all candidates on this date, the school will use Monday 3 September 2018 to fulfil capacity. Requests to alter a candidate's allocated date cannot be considered. Unfortunately, date clashes with other selective schools that also have assessment tests are sometimes unavoidable.
For registered applicants unable to attend the test session offered due to illness, a doctor’s note will be required and a late test arranged. Other circumstances may be considered but taking a test at another school may not.
Testing Procedure All tests will take place at The Latymer School and can only be taken once at the beginning of Year 6.
Registered applicants will be invited to sit tests in Mathematics, Verbal Reasoning and English. Applicants are expected to show competence in skills appropriate to Key Stage 2 English and Mathematics.
The Mathematics and Verbal Reasoning test will be one combined test paper of multiple choice format set by GL Assessment. It will be 60 minutes in duration and the School will have no advanced knowledge of the content of this paper. The English paper will be set by the school and will include both reading (duration 30 minutes) and writing (30 minutes) sections.
The Verbal Reasoning and Mathematics papers will be marked first. These results will be combined to give an agestandardised result for each applicant in rank order (rank 1 being the highest position).
Applicants with a ranking position below 650 will be deemed by the School Governors as not eligible for consideration to the school under academic ability and will therefore not have their English papers marked.
kwy

Post by kwy »

Hi Priya,

Sorry. Now I found that statement of invitation letter will be sent on late August 2018 in their website.

Regards,

KWY
kwy

Post by kwy »

Hi,

I received an email for invitation letter today. Allocated date for test is 3 September 2018, Monday 8:30AM.
Yes

Post by Yes »

Did anyone received the invitation for 2nd of September?
ALL 4 boys from our school got the invitations for 3rd. The same days as DAO test, two of them got the same times. My son has 1,5 hour gap between tests.
Ridiculous!
piggys

Post by piggys »

What do you think the schools should do, Yes?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

It shouldn't take more than an hour and a half to get to Potters Bar from Edmonton , should it?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Yes

Post by Yes »

piggys
What do you think the schools should do, Yes?
I think it is quite popular genuinely apply for both school if you live in the area, not being an exam tourist. Both school have catchment areas that overlay, so Latymer could take it into account. Test days for DAO has been announced longer before Latymer finalised their admission conditions. DAO and SW Herts somehow can manage it, can't they?
Ok, I have read admission arrangements for Latymer. Additional day has been mentioned there. But... All of us apply on first day, as soon as application has been opened for Latymer. So why we have been appointed for additional day, not for the main test day?
ToadMum
It shouldn't take more than an hour and a half to get to Potters Bar from Edmonton , should it?
Yes, it is enough if we don't take into consideration congestion near schools, basic needs like toilet and food. Children are just 10. Isn't it too much to sit so many tests on one day? Don't they need time to get proper hot lunch between tests?

And as I mentioned, at least two of our friends are given the same times in both schools. They can't get to both tests.

Children are not given equal opportunities. Not all children are in this situation. Many have been given a chance to sit both tests on different days.

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others... ????

We are in catchment area of both school, 30-40 minutes by buses, not extreme commutes when you need to change three bus and spend hours there.
Last edited by Yes on Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.