Latymer - Invitation Letter

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
yourthia

Re: Latymer - Invitation Letter

Post by yourthia »

I am very pleased that Latymer decided to allow an opportunity to all the children to sit the exam. I am surprised that their decision to offer 12th September as a second date for the kids who clash on 3rd is not made public by Latymer as every parent who received that letter that invited them on 3rd and have not had the pure luck to stumble across this post would be sick with worry like I was for 4 days!

I have emailed Latymer and they have offered my daughter an alternative date; they responded within 1.5h.

My reason for posting is to help other parents, to try and spread the word that there is another opportunity and hopefully other parents would see this post and would email Latymer to seek a second date. I am eternally grateful to the first post who notified me and other parents that this is an option (particularly after their policy says clearly that they know the date clashes and they won't accept request for changes for this reason).
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

@Kenyancowgirl, I'm not sure one form of perceived unfairness makes other forms less valid. All are questions that beg answers IMO. Some areas having no grammar schools doesn't justify the approach here. I'm however sure the retort was unnecessary.

@yourthia, true they did say they would not accomodate any changes due to a clash with other schools. DAO announced their dates well in advance and DAO also included a check box if they were sitting HBS due to potential clashes. All of this could have been avoided as those people could have sat it on Sunday.

There is the issue of the test being compromised if they sit the same paper. If they don't, who decides if both papers are set at same level.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It honestly was not a retort - I was commenting, ironically, on your perception that there was unfairness in the system you have opted into, when, actually, the whole system is flawed, as it is acutely unfair right from the off. You cannot simply ignore one at the expense of the other, expecting your bit to be scrupulously fair, when the system itself is completely unfair! Choosing some children at age 10 and saying they are brighter than other 10 year olds is unfair (any teacher will tell you that some children develop quicker than others and other children plateau and vice versa), living in an area with many GS may be seen as an advantage over an area that has none and so on....it's an age old argument that has been discussed many times but that doesn't make it any less of a valid point. The system is flawed and unfair period.

We have a similar system here for late testing - usually for people who are genuinely unwell on the first date but, more and more, as numbers increase wanting to take the test (regardless of whether or not they actually have a chance from where they live), there are more sessions. The test is usally the same - and can, in fact be used right up until August of the following year, for late entrants/newcomers to the area. Your best advice is to tell your child not to repeat any of the test content to anyone - even to friends who sat the test at the same session as them. If they do, they increase the chances of someone else getting the place over them (for example if their friends then tell another friend who is a late sitter.)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's not compulsory to go to a GS - it's a choice.

You can get fantastic GCSEs and A levels and go to a great university without going to a GS. When I taught at a comprehensive I taught some amazing students .... and then moving to a GS I found A level students somewhat lazy in comparison.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Last year the non catchment second round candidates had quite a different English paper. A lot more challenging in my opinion.

So I think the 12th will be different papers. DG
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:It's not compulsory to go to a GS - it's a choice.
+1. Live by the sword or die by it.
mad?
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Apologies Kenyancowgirl, I miscontrued your comments. Thanks for the reminder.
almendra

Post by almendra »

I am thoroughly delighted that I happened to take a look at this Latymer thread on the forum. My son was allocated the Monday morning slot for his tests, clashing with the DAO maths date he was given earlier in the summer. We were hugely disappointed – he was very taken with DAO when he visited the Open Day, but with his brother at Latymer we are keen for him to have the opportunity to apply for both of these brilliant schools. Plus he’s worked very hard to prepare for both styles of exam. I initially didn’t contact Latymer to protest, as their letter and stated policy has some stern wording about not being able to change dates except if your child is sick on the day. Anyway, THANK YOU forum users!

When I read that other children had been offered alternative dates, I contacted the school and immediately got offered a later date too. It’s a relief – but leaves me wondering why on earth they don’t make this clear to everyone from the outset.
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

I know quite a few children as well who have been allocated the 12th as they had a Maths exam at DAO
examsaretough

Post by examsaretough »

Has anyone had confirmation of what time on the 12th the tests are ?

Thanks