QE Prep 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
anotherdad

Re: QE Prep 2018

Post by anotherdad »

squareofthewicket wrote:I am surprised that a lot of the regular forum contributors even bother to reply to requests for information where such information is either available on the school/LA website, elsewhere in the forum, usually as a sticky or sometimes even in the same thread.

Just because a question is asked on the forum, it doesn't have to be answered if the answers are already available elsewhere!! ( and now waiting for members to pounce on me :mrgreen: )
I suspect that in the absence of anyone coming forward with the answer, the void would be filled with rumour and speculation. In a lot of cases, the questions arise precisely because someone "was told by another parent", or "heard somewhere", usually incorrectly. I've seen threads run away with themselves on subjects like CAF preferences, standardisation, allocation distances, etc because despite everything being available on the web, someone always crops up with a story that contradicts it. Where a lot of this rumour, myth and speculation used to be confined to the school gate, it's now perpetrated online.
Yes

Post by Yes »

Off-top 8)
I always impressed by the people leaving answers on Amazon "Sorry, can't help you. I didn't buy this product" :lol: :lol: :lol:
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

Yes wrote:Off-top 8)
I always impressed by the people leaving answers on Amazon "Sorry, can't help you. I didn't buy this product" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Getting back to the topic of QE Prep, here's a good question to set your DS - should QE ever go down the CEM route!

Re-arrange the following words to make a sentence, and identify the extra word:

get life they satsuma a need to
piggys

Post by piggys »

The superfluous word is 'life'. We all need satsumas. :wink:
Yes

Post by Yes »

Shuffled sentences are not my strong. But I like satsumas!

As for CEM, I find it hugely disadvantaging for many children from families where english is not first language, or who are not using words like "quandary" or "clairvoyant" in everyday life (might be I'm wrong and these words are very popular, but I hope it is possible to understand what I mean).

.. read books, this is best vocabulary builder. Ok. I have ordered Treasure Island from our local library. Two month I was awaiting it, after just went to charity shop and got it. Our school library is full of Horrid Henries and Beast Quests, I think they don't have at all something like Tom Sawer of Kidnapped. I need to remind teachers constantly to give my children something apart from comics books, than might be they will bring home Michael Morpurgo or Dick King-Smith, but most likely David Williams. How children would be able to build the vocabulary needed for CEM if they don't have support in everyday life?
Last edited by Yes on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

I agree, about:

- the difficulty faced by children from homes where English may not even be spoken,

- the increasing uselessness of local libraries, and of course

- the importance of the satsuma
Forum11+

Post by Forum11+ »

Could I ask if there was a creative writing element to the English Exam? I always thought there was, but I read in one of the threads that there isn’t. Or is it just comprehension and grammar questions? Also, is the comprehension multiple choice or standard format?
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

It's been fully multi-choice maths and English for at least the past 5 years.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now