QE Prep 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
StressedUnicorn

QE Prep 2018

Post by StressedUnicorn »

Hi All,

Hope that the prep is going well. I just had a quick question for any experienced parent out there who successfully got their son into QE. On average what scores should they be getting in the practice papers at home and in mocks. Feeling worried now that the date is approaching. DS has a tendency to make silly mistakes under pressure although he knows the content!

Grateful for any last minute tips!
:(
Thanks
abhijitc4u

Re: QE Prep 2018

Post by abhijitc4u »

+1

on the same boat..have been contemplating kicking off some discussion on QE 2018. It has been quite quiet this time around.

So thank you for getting us rolling.
nyr

Post by nyr »

It would be a high percentage in the GL or Bond papers 85% - 90%+ (depending on age) but you really shouldn't dwell on the scores at this stage. If he has time after school then try and identify a couple of areas that he needs to and can realistically improve on - such as grammar and punctuation or specific types of maths problems - and focus on these, just in case they come up in the exam. My feeling is that silly mistakes tend to be made on easy question and there probably won't be too many of those in the QE papers.
StressedUnicorn

Thank you nyr! Yes I was now going to switch to short bursts of topic revision as schools have opened! He does fine at home but from time to time his scores start dipping below the dreaded 85% mark. I’ve heard that he consistently needs to be above 90% but with all the competition I’m now thinking even that won’t be enough!
StressedUnicorn

abhijitc4u wrote:+1

on the same boat..have been contemplating kicking off some discussion on QE 2018. It has been quite quiet this time around.

So thank you for getting us rolling.

No problem! How’s the prep going? It has been really quiet on this forum wrt to Qe prep. :)
abhijitc4u

Post by abhijitc4u »

Euphoria and misery chasing each other’s tails.

DS has been hovering in the 80-90 range.

One thing not clear to us is if we should do algebra. He has encountered algebra in one of the mocks by a particular provider.

Are you doing algebra ?
Duago

Post by Duago »

abhijitc4u wrote:Euphoria and misery chasing each other’s tails.

DS has been hovering in the 80-90 range.
In the same boat. :D. All the best.
Lcwic1

Post by Lcwic1 »

[quite][/quote]One thing not clear to us is if we should do algebra. He has encountered algebra in one of the mocks by a particular provider.

Last year my son son did the QE exam and he was surprised that there were no algebra questions. However he has covered algebra at school and in practice papers. I think it is best to be confident in algebra as well. He did well in both papers and he had his 1st day at QE today. Good luck to those sitting this year.
Yes

Post by Yes »

What kind of algebra do you mean? Ks2 algebra is very simple. Almost all what I have seen was a basic algebra or the questions that was possible to solve using logic, trial method or factors. As an example I can remember Manchester Grammar School papers. All questions what seems to be solvable using algebra could be also solved using other methods.
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

I would get him familiar with basic algebra, yes, just in case it comes up

Has anyone been informed if they have the Thursday or Friday yet? We haven't
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now