Any DS travelling from St Albans to QE?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
11plusmommy

Any DS travelling from St Albans to QE?

Post by 11plusmommy »

DS is very likely to get a place in QE for 2019 entry.Just checking if any of your boys are already travelling from St Albans to QE?

There doesn’t seem to be a coach service from St Albans to the school at the moment. Anyone considered / will consider door to door shared taxi service from around St Albans to the school?
ToadMum

Re: Any DS travelling from St Albans to QE?

Post by ToadMum »

There seems to be a fairly straightforward train - bus option via Elstree and Borehamwood? Perhaps most use public transport, which gives more flexibility for after school activities, unless your whole taxi group want to do the same activity, or the others don't mind hanging around waiting.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I agree and apparently the At Albans- Borehamwood trains are smart and new too. It's such a quick journey (only about 10 minutes I think) that it would seem much the easiest way to travel and then get one of the buses from Borehamwood to High Barnet (they all seem to come along Arkley Road) which is perfect for the school - just a tiny walk the school end. There are always loads of boys who get your buses.
MysticMum

Post by MysticMum »

Hello. My son is very likely to get in also and we are in Rickmansworth. Is there anyone travelling from here who would taxi share to one of the bus routes in Pinner or Hatch End?

Or can someone recommend what the best travel options might be?

Thanks in advance
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

A taxi share to a bus stop in the morning every day might just about be feasible. But how will they get home again?
Amber

Post by Amber »

streathammum wrote:A taxi share to a bus stop in the morning every day might just about be feasible. But how will they get home again?
:lol:

Looks like quite a convoluted route via Pinner (46 mins on a Sunday morning, assuming a seamless change from taxi to high speed bus - more in rush hour I assume) - did you consider how your son would get to and from school when you entered him for the test, MysticMum?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

To be fair, Pinner is fairly close to Rickmansworth, and there is a direct tube line which involves 4 stops, so that would be quite easy (still a long journey, but one that plenty do in & around London).
scary mum
piggys

Post by piggys »

MysticMum wrote:Hello. My son is very likely to get in also and we are in Rickmansworth. Is there anyone travelling from here who would taxi share to one of the bus routes in Pinner or Hatch End?

Or can someone recommend what the best travel options might be?

Thanks in advance
For a small fee I will get the information you require MysticMum. I have to say your user name is a bit....ironic, isn't it? :wink:
Hera

Post by Hera »

Rickmansworth to QE seems like an unfeasible journey to me. It is really worth the journey given the amazing schools you have to choose from much closer to Rickmansworth - Watford Boys, Clement Danes. Rickmansworth? I really appreciate the closeness of my kids schools to where we live given all the before and after school activities they do. Also I think it made an enormous difference to stress levels and ultimately outcomes in the run up and during GCSEs.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

The trouble with getting a car to the bus stop is that you are dependent on the traffic (and if sharing, the potential tardiness of the other boys) to get there in time. And if the car/taxi is late then they're stuck.
Personally I'd do tube to Wembley Park then tube to Queensbury then it's just one bus to Barnet. It's a horribly long journey (1.5 hours but a relatively easy one). The taxi/bus won't be any quicker I wouldn't have thought at that time of day?