Henrietta barnett 2nd round

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Solara

Henrietta barnett 2nd round

Post by Solara »

Dear parents
Can Anyone with any experience willing to share?
What kind of writting (topic) was last year any advice or tips would be much appreciated.
isthisonetaken

Re: Henrietta barnett 2nd round

Post by isthisonetaken »

DD's memory from last year indicates the format was more quality rather than quantity orientated; with only a few (3?) long (almost mini-essay style) answers required for more searching questions, as opposed to say 10 or more straightforward comprehension questions. Detailed, thoughtful and well-reasoned answers would appear to be what they are looking for, so core English comprehension and expression skills need to be as polished as possible. The long format Maths paper has some extended multi-step work, as you might expect. Certainly challenging papers but just requiring core skills and thought.
Solara

Post by Solara »

isthisonetaken...Thank you very much , really helpful
tahm563

Post by tahm563 »

Anyone knows how many they take from round 2?
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

Our experience from 3 years ago was that the English was one 50 mark question about the main character throughout the whole extract - a big surprise to DD - and a choice of creative writing extract - one related to the extract and one relating a personal experience. The maths was very similar to other standard format maths papers. I think HBS change English quite regularly so advise DD to be prepared for anything. The other thing to note is to check the whole paper front and back - I think I remember in DD's year a story about a girl who hadn't seen the CW section and just lost half the marks available. Luckily, I think she got a place at StMs but it could have been much worse.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

There are 100 places or so per year. Or so, because there is always lots of messing around with parents doing the hokey-Cokey dance (in,out,in,out, shake it all about) with multiple schools, even after school starts in September.
Kaira

Post by Kaira »

Stokers wrote:Our experience from 3 years ago was that the English was one 50 mark question about the main character throughout the whole extract - a big surprise to DD - and a choice of creative writing extract - one related to the extract and one relating a personal experience. The maths was very similar to other standard format maths papers. I think HBS change English quite regularly so advise DD to be prepared for anything. The other thing to note is to check the whole paper front and back - I think I remember in DD's year a story about a girl who hadn't seen the CW section and just lost half the marks available. Luckily, I think she got a place at StMs but it could have been much worse.
Thanks for your inputs,

Can you please advise if we need to show workings on the Maths paper or do we get a separate scrap paper to do working?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Kaira wrote:
Stokers wrote:Our experience from 3 years ago was that the English was one 50 mark question about the main character throughout the whole extract - a big surprise to DD - and a choice of creative writing extract - one related to the extract and one relating a personal experience. The maths was very similar to other standard format maths papers. I think HBS change English quite regularly so advise DD to be prepared for anything. The other thing to note is to check the whole paper front and back - I think I remember in DD's year a story about a girl who hadn't seen the CW section and just lost half the marks available. Luckily, I think she got a place at StMs but it could have been much worse.
Thanks for your inputs,

Can you please advise if we need to show workings on the Maths paper or do we get a separate scrap paper to do working?
Please don't take this amiss, but whatever the answer may be to the question as to whether the candidates are required to show their working and / or are provided with rough paper, their parents definitely won't be... :) .

Unless you are the candidate yourself and not her mum?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kaira

Post by Kaira »

ToadMum wrote:
Kaira wrote:
Thanks for your inputs,

Please don't take this amiss, but whatever the answer may be to the question as to whether the candidates are required to show their working and / or are provided with rough paper, their parents definitely won't be... :) .

Unless you are the candidate yourself and not her mum?
:D Good spot :) seems that we ourselves are giving this stupid exam?
Kaira

Post by Kaira »

Good morning,

If anyone has info, I'm still looking for the answer to whether HBS stage 2 candidates have to show their working in Maths paper or are given a scrap paper?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now