Latymer September 2019 anyone?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ToadMum

Re: Latymer September 2019 anyone?

Post by ToadMum »

exam2019 wrote:Update: Having discussed the exam and doing extra work, we started some prep about a month ago. DS seemed to be into the idea but it has not been easy going so far. Quite naturally he is not sure what he wants or why the exam is a great idea. He's worried about failing. He is not sure he wants to go to a school if his friends from primary will not be there. All sensible stuff! How do others cope with this? Any tips?
It doesn't stop him being able to go to any of the same schools as he can without passing the 11+, it just adds some possibilities. To have a chance of passing, he has to actually take the exam. There is no shame in trying and failing - the only people who fail are those who actually make the effort in the first place.

Will that do for starters?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

ToadMum wrote:It doesn't stop him being able to go to any of the same schools as he can without passing the 11+, it just adds some possibilities. To have a chance of passing, he has to actually take the exam. There is no shame in trying and failing - the only people who fail are those who actually make the effort in the first place.

Will that do for starters?
Thanks! We've spoken about having possibilities and choices. It hasn't been as effective as I had hoped!
I may have to experiment with him being in charge of his schedule so that he feels more in control of the whole thing. I don't think he is going to be keen on me being in the driving seat...
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Well after various chats about motivation had limited success, I opted for giving DS control and choice in the process. I started by asking which exercise he wanted to choose out of the Maths book for each session. I then showed him that we had missed a few sessions so we had 17 to complete by Xmas. I was hoping for buy-in to do 2-3 a week but he announced he’d do 1 per day, then move on to our vocabulary book.

Yay things are looking up!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now