Latymer September 2019 anyone?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

exam2019

Latymer September 2019 anyone?

Post by exam2019 »

Hi

We've decided to start prepping for next year's Latymer test.
It's the only selective school that we will consider and we're doing DIY prep.

Anyone else on the same journey? Or who can offer tips?

Some of our many questions are....
- how long does the exam essay have to be if there is only 20-25 minutes?
- what help is there in the exam hall to help the kids keep to time?
- how much homework is there per week (in different years) and is there a homework club in school (as DS hates doing it at home)?

Thanks!
Daogroupie

Re: Latymer September 2019 anyone?

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to have your ds wearing a watch and getting a good concept of time. Being able to cope with timing of part of what is being tested so he needs to have a handle on it.

Keep asking him what the time is.

Ask him when he thinks ten minutes has gone.

The composition is quality not quantity. Some students will write 3 pages but very little of it will bring in any marks.

Many students will not follow the instructions and will lose marks because of this.

Write out instructions and get him to follow them exactly then he will get used to following instructions. DG
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Great tips - thanks!

Is it true that they’re not allowed watches in the exam? I’m sure I read that on their website somewhere?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Nobody mentioned this but it could have been in the letter.

In GCSEs you have to take the watch off but you can have it on the desk.

I know there is a big problem with digital watches so some do just ban all watches. DG
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Daogroupie wrote:The composition is quality not quantity. Some students will write 3 pages but very little of it will bring in any marks. DG
Slightly worrying about this element I have to say. Any tips gratefully received!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Read great literature together and point out all the literary devices the author is using then give him targets to include them in his writing.

For boys I would recommend Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island and the Wind in the Willows. You can learn everything you need from the way Mark Twain RL Stephenson and Kenneth Grahame write in these two books.

I never get tired of reading them. They are peerless. DG
hexic

Post by hexic »

Homework in school: it's meant to be 1 hr in Y7 and going up, but is much less, with many days in Y7-8 with no hw. No homework club in school, self-motivation is expected, though he could do it at lunch. Detentions if homework not done so that should get him in the habit.
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

Daogroupie wrote:Read great literature together and point out all the literary devices the author is using then give him targets to include them in his writing.

For boys I would recommend Tom Sawyer, Treasure Island and the Wind in the Willows. You can learn everything you need from the way Mark Twain RL Stephenson and Kenneth Grahame write in these two books.

Sorry to hijack this but DG what other classic books do you recommend for boys sitting Latymers, QE and DAO in 2019?
Thank you,

Worrybot
Arabella

Post by Arabella »

worrybot wrote:
Daogroupie wrote:Read great literature together and point out all the literary devices the author is using then give him targets to include them in his writing.

Sorry to hijack this but DG what other classic books do you recommend for boys sitting Latymers, QE and DAO in 2019?
May I ask what literature would you recommend for girls to read?
Many thanks!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Girls: Pollyanna, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Pollyanna, Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, What Katy did, Little Women, A little Princess, The Secret Garden, also Wind in the Willows.

Boys: Tom Sawyer, Kidnapped, Huckleberry Finn, Treasure Island

Gender Neutral, The Call of the Wild, The War of the Worlds, The Jungle Book, Around the World in 80 days, The 39 Steps, Little Lord Fauntleroy, Black Beauty. The Wizard of Oz, The Red Pony, Alice in Wonderland, The Railway Children, all seven books in the Narnia series. Carrie's war.

Will think of more. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now