Latymer September 2019 anyone?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Arabella

Re: Latymer September 2019 anyone?

Post by Arabella »

Daogroupie wrote:Girls: Pollyanna, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Pollyanna, Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, What Katy did, Little Women, A little Princess, The Secret Garden, also Wind in the Willows.

Boys: Tom Sawyer, Kidnapped, Huckleberry Finn, Treasure Island

Gender Neutral, The Call of the Wild, The War of the Worlds, The Jungle Book, Around the World in 80 days, The 39 Steps, Little Lord Fauntleroy, Black Beauty. The Wizard of Oz, The Red Pony, Alice in Wonderland, The Railway Children, all seven books in the Narnia series. Carrie's war.

Will think of more. DG
Thank you very much, DG, for the reading list.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

hexic wrote:Homework in school: it's meant to be 1 hr in Y7 and going up, but is much less, with many days in Y7-8 with no hw. No homework club in school, self-motivation is expected, though he could do it at lunch. Detentions if homework not done so that should get him in the habit.
Thanks - he's getting less grumpy about homework as he gets older - let's hope that trend continues!
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

As a child I loved many of the books DG lists, but as an adult I struggle with the gender stereotypes. So we've chosen to steer away from gender based lists.

Search on Amazon under "vintage childrens classics" and a great list comes up
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If you did actually know these books you would know that they are certainly not gender stereotypes.

Lots of strong role model girls and caring boys.

Not a gender stereotype among them. DG
Yes

Post by Yes »

I have read all "boys" book from the list, almost all "gender neutral" and no one from "girls" list... "Girls" book are so boring :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
copella

Post by copella »

At Latymer they are given barely any homework in y7 to 8 they do however work hard in school and the expectation is that pupils relax outside of school. Homework is however stepped up from y9 not to onerous but as had been said an expectation of self motivation and not much spoon feeding.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Thanks Copella - that's reassuring!

DG - I agree that all the books on the list are suitable for all, I was mainly thinking of how "we" tend to split them up and think of them as for "girls" or "boys". I've been conciously trying not to present books like that with my two, and try to find books with strong female characters. That does tend to mean we've had to look at more modern writers to get that.... I also hate the gender colour coding of toys and clothes so try to avoid that too.... I realise that I'm now sounding like a rabid feminist!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I split them up because I was asked to.

I don't split them up. They are great literature. removed by a moderator

They come up all the time in exams for co-ed, boys and girls schools because they are timeless. DG
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

Daogroupie wrote:Girls: Pollyanna, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, Pollyanna, Anne of Green Gables, Heidi, What Katy did, Little Women, A little Princess, The Secret Garden, also Wind in the Willows.

Boys: Tom Sawyer, Kidnapped, Huckleberry Finn, Treasure Island

Gender Neutral, The Call of the Wild, The War of the Worlds, The Jungle Book, Around the World in 80 days, The 39 Steps, Little Lord Fauntleroy, Black Beauty. The Wizard of Oz, The Red Pony, Alice in Wonderland, The Railway Children, all seven books in the Narnia series. Carrie's war.

Will think of more. DG
Thank you DG
Thank you,

Worrybot
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

Update: Having discussed the exam and doing extra work, we started some prep about a month ago. DS seemed to be into the idea but it has not been easy going so far. Quite naturally he is not sure what he wants or why the exam is a great idea. He's worried about failing. He is not sure he wants to go to a school if his friends from primary will not be there. All sensible stuff! How do others cope with this? Any tips?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now