Number of choices on CAF form

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

streathammum

Re: Number of choices on CAF form

Post by streathammum »

ale21279 wrote:Sorry for so many questions...

So although the schools don't know which order you placed them in, does the 1st choice school have the first option to say yes or no, if no, then followed by 2nd choice school, and so on down the list?
No, that's not how it works. Each school ranks all the children who name it anywhere on their CAF. The rank will be determined by the admissions criteria. If you live next door to a school that admits on distance, you will always be higher up the ranking than a person who lives further away, regardless of where each of you put it in the CAF.

The schools don't know where you've put it on the CAF when they compile the ranking.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

The "lottery" is that you get the nearest school with places to spare. That may not be your nearest school. That's why you are better off filling up your slots if you've not got any "nailed down" choices.

I'm not completely sure how the algorithm works. Certainly the school aren't involved at all so have no "say". Their criteria are built into the checks and after that it is down to number crunching of the computers. It must be as streathammum says because it doesn't matter where you put each choice on your CAF. You can put a school last choice but still get the place over someone who puts it 1st if you are a better match based on entry criteria - whether that is test result or distance etc. The schools have no influence and can't even write supporting letters (as a friend discovered to her cost - you need an Ed Psych or a Social Worker if you need that route).
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

Tinkers wrote:Have a look at this and see if it explains it all for you.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you Tinkers, this does help a lot, especially the recommendations at the end.

We've managed to rule out 3-4 more schools over the last few days for various reasons, so should be able to find 4 to fill the form.

Our 2nd choice has Ofsted visiting today! I wonder if the report will be out before 31st Oct, but it shouldn't affect our choices unless something drastic happens.

Really appreciate everyone's advice :D
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

Sorry to ask again but I need to get things clear in my mind so we can submit the CAF.
    DS didn't reach the required score in any of the entrance exams he took (I need to analyse how/what went wrong, but haven't got the headspace for it right now)
      DAO is/was always our first choice, but we have close to zero chance of getting a place there now (he's not even near the top of the waiting list)
        He has somehow secured a guaranteed music place at our second choice; the letter says "the first 21 ranked positions will be offered a musical aptitude place, should they complete the CAF & include __ as one of their preferences"

My question is, is it still worth putting DAO as first choice? If by some miracle we get it, do we automatically lose the guaranteed music place at 2nd choice? We have almost accepted in our minds that's where he will go now, it would be a shock to get DAO in March...

I presume if we put DAO 2nd, there is even closer to zero chance of getting a place as his 1st choice would then be the music place.

Also need to think about DS2 and whether we can bear to go through this all again with him, or just accept that DAO was not meant to be, unfortunately :(

thanks for any advice
        Trakka

Post by Trakka »

Ale, you wouldn't lose your 2nd choice school if you put DAO as number one. That's what we're doing in case some kind of weird thing happens :lol: We're only filling in 4 spaces and we have 2 guaranteed schools so we have the space.

If you don't get your first school, you will be assessed against your 2nd choice as if it's your first choice.

Hope that helps!
        Last edited by Trakka on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
        loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Put DAO first if it's your first choice. You've nothing to lose. You are aware that your ds is unlikely to get offered it but then your second choice school automatically becomes your first choice. You can't lose that place if it's guaranteed as you say. But you have no chance of DAO if you put it lower than your second choice and can be offered your second choice.
        Hope that makes sense.
        Trakka

Post by Trakka »

ale21279 wrote: Also need to think about DS2 and whether we can bear to go through this all again with him, or just accept that DAO was not meant to be, unfortunately :(
        Hi Ale, I feel your pain. Last night I was thinking was this a waste of time but today I feel no it wasn't. My DD and I spent some lovely time with the 11+ work and she actually said that overall she enjoyed it. Today I think it was worth it as if we hadn't tried we would have always wondered what if. We haven't told DD yet as we're going away with the guides for half term and I want her to enjoy that. She didn't know when the results were coming out.

As to 2nd DC I think that depends on them. We're not going to try with our 2nd DD as she's a different kettle of fish and we don't think she's suited to GS. If DD1 had got in to DAO we would have seriously considered not sending DD2 on sibling.

In summary, I think if you think DC is right for a selective school then I personally think it's worth giving it a go.
        ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

loobylou & Trakka, thank you for taking the time to reply. That's what I thought too, so that's what we'll do.

If by some miracle we did get DAO (if we put it 1st), we would lose the guaranteed music place though (2nd choice), right?

Trakka, I feel like we've done this journey together, I'm feeling a bit sad today that it's all over, but, as you say, if we hadn't tried, I would have always wondered "what if?"....

DS is very quiet today, I think he's gutted deep down. It's been a long, tough process - 18 months of preparation with not much to show for it.

Maybe I should have done more with him or taken a different approach, but hopefully he has come out the other side stronger & wiser, even if he didn't get the places we wanted :cry:
        mitasol

Post by mitasol »

If by some miracle we did get DAO (if we put it 1st), we would lose the guaranteed music place though (2nd choice), right?
        Yes - You only get offered one school. So your lower preferences are no longer needed and released for other children.

List the schools in your true order of preference.
        streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Yes if you are offered your top preference, all the preferences below are discounted. You will be offered only one school and it will be the one that is highest in your form that you met the criteria for.
        11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now