Henrietta Barnet Round One results arriving today

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Henrietta Barnet Round One results arriving today

Post by Daogroupie »

+1

I think there are more private school students being tutored than state schools.

You have the preps who do not want their students to leave them and go to a state school or another private school so they simply do not teach them what they would need to know so they can't actually leave unless they go to a non selective state school.

Their Maths levels are just shocking. They have just not been taught to KS2 level. But this is the correct business model for these schools. They want to keep them so don't give them the knowledge that enables them to leave.

Then you have the 13 plus preps that are even worse. Y6 students who don't know basic maths concepts but are been given end of year exams that they get into the 90 percents for that are nowhere near KS2 levels.

Because they do not participate in national exams at primary level their parents are in blissful ignorance until they get state school 11 plus exam results. Or remain in that state if they don't do state school exams.

But once again the correct business model. Why would you teach them 11 plus so they can leave you with empty classrooms in Y7 and Y8?

Private schools parents are used to the concept of paying so they will engage a tutor more readily than state school parents.

I would be surprised to hear of any private school students at HBS who did not go to private tutors and managed to secure a place solely on what they were taught at their private prep. DG
Yes

Post by Yes »

I used to know one family with 3 children.
I have witnessed the time when middle daughter was sitting 11+. She was in prep school and was sitting all 4 tests - DAO, Latymer, Mill Hill and HBS. She had tutor only for English and only since February or March (she had serious problems with health at the beginning of Y5). She got through all 4. She is in HBS now.

After they were able to put next child to prep school (Y4) with the aim to enter GS. They were shocked by the level (this was different school than older daughter went). The remarks were - they are far behind state schools as their aim is not to educate the children but to retain them into their senior school. Luckily the place in their older girl's school became available and they put the little one there.

To the my question why older boy is in independent school not in state grammar, they told me that the level of education their son gets in independent school is incomparable to the state schools, even grammars, especially in science and French.

I don't know the names of the schools, I was too new to UK that time and generally not too much interested in private education.
expat

Post by expat »

Daogroupie wrote:I think there are more private school students being tutored than state schools.
By percentage, I suspect you are correct. In terms of sheer numbers... I doubt it, at least in Henrietta Barnett's effective catchment area.
Daogroupie wrote:I would be surprised to hear of any private school students at HBS who did not go to private tutors and managed to secure a place solely on what they were taught at their private prep.
And what fraction of state school students at HBS would you estimate did not go to private tutors and managed to secure a place solely on what they were taught at their primary? And while we're at it you should include DIY tutoring as well. HBS has a FSM eligibility rate of 1.4%. The parents of the children who attend were, on average, much more able to do DIY tutoring than most.

I don't see why independent schools should be held to a higher standard here as very few, if any, of the ones in centralish London do CEM preparation, either.
Last edited by expat on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
almond2009

Post by almond2009 »

Daogroupie wrote:+1

Private schools parents are used to the concept of paying so they will engage a tutor more readily than state school parents.

I would be surprised to hear of any private school students at HBS who did not go to private tutors and managed to secure a place solely on what they were taught at their private prep. DG
With due respect, I think that is too much of a blanket statement for private school parents. Although they have the resources to pay (some of them make sacrifices to give their children a better education), it does not mean they would more readily pay for tuition than state school parents.

I would rather get a picture of tuition/DIY tuition/no tuition from existing hbs parents than from tutors.

I also know plenty of people who got through HBS first round with minimal tuition, which suggests that the quality of teaching in private schools is not as bad as you suggest, although they have not explicitly prepared children for 11+.
nyr

Post by nyr »

I know that it's probably all my fault for mentioning the fraction of Y7 HBS pupils educated in the independent sector but this thread is now at risk of being derailed by a discussion of the merits or otherwise of a private primary education. Maybe interested forumites can take it further in a new thread.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In the 2017 GCSE cohort 75/93 had KS2 levels ... that's a good estimate of the proportion of Private school students in that year group.

https://www.compare-school-performance. ... ett-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Prior attainment tab.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Thanks G55. That is really helpful. DG
nyr

Post by nyr »

I'm aware of that prior attainment data but that is lagging 6 years. I'm going by the information supplied by HBS for 2017 and 2018 entry:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-823760
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Wow!

This data enables you to see exactly where the dds are coming from and I would imagine that this is in rank order.

We should be able to work out which part of London most dds live and also be able to see who is the furthest away.

I don't think HBS has as many students doing the long hauls that QE students seem to do. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

Yes that is fascinating!

Dd went to a very ordinary state primary and we DIYd. She's in Y12 at HBS now. Most of her year were at state schools.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now