Latymer results

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
expat

Re: Latymer results

Post by expat »

exam2019 wrote:I’m not understanding the subtleties of this.
The word “re-standardised” is not mentioned for the top 650 in the admissions arrangements. However the top650 process mentions combined age standardised scores for maths plus English papers. I’m thinking that those could mean the same thing while Ilelo seems to think they mean very different things - Can anyone explain it to me?! What am I missing?
Age-standardization is a completely different issue than the mathematical standardization of results.

Age-standardization addresses the observation that, at this stage in their development, August-born children get lower raw scores, on average, than their September-born peers, who are almost a year older. If an August-born child and a September-born child get the same raw score on a test, e.g., 30 out of 50 questions correct, the August-born child will be assigned a higher age-standardized score than the September-born child. The examiners will attempt to set the size of the handicap so that August-born children, on average, get the same age-standardized scores as September-born children, even if the groups get different raw scores on average.

Standardization addresses the fact that different tests can be marked on different scales. Raw scores are transformed to have a specific mean (average), and standard deviation (dispersion). Many familiar tests such as CATS are standardized to a mean of 100 and a standard deviation of 15. Transformation of the averages does nothing important, it is the transformation of the dispersions that affects the relative weighting of two tests.

As an example, Test A may have raw scores from 0-100, but with scores actually distributed between 50 and 100. Test B may have raw scores from 0-25, with scores distributed all the way from 0 to 25. What happens when you combine the raw scores? To take an extreme case, suppose Child X gets a top score on Test A (100) and a bottom score on Test B (0). Child Y gets a bottom score on Test A (50) and a top score on Test B (25). Just adding the raw scores would give Child X a total of 100+0=100 and Child Y a total of 50+25=75. In this case, doing well on Test A is more important than doing well on Test B, so Test A is clearly weighted more heavily than Test B.

N.b., simply multiplying the raw scores of Test B by 4 to get Test B to a scale of 0-100 will not do the trick. Child X would have a score of 100+0=100, Child Y would have a score of 50+100=150, so Test B would be more heavily weighted. What standardization tries to do is to transform the dispersions of the tests so that, when you add the scores together, each test will have the same weight (provided you transform each raw score to the same standard deviation).

For something like the case at hand, supposing the "first round" score was standardized to 100 mean and 15 standard deviation across the 2255 candidates, the average score across all 2255 candidates would have been 100 (by definition), the highest score about 150 and the lowest score about 50. The cutoff to make the top 650 would be about 108. The "second round" score can only be standardized to the 650 candidates whose papers were marked. If the English papers were also standardized to 100 mean and 15 standard deviation, the highest score would be about 145 and the lowest score about 55. The range between the highest and lowest "first round" scores of the 650 still in the running would be 150-108=42. The range between the highest and lowest "second round" scores would be 145-55=90. Therefore the "second round" test would be weighted much more heavily than the "first round" test. However, if the "first round" scores were re-standardized, i.e., transformed again, so that it was mean 100 and standard deviation 15 for the 650, then the range between the highest and lowest scores in the "first round" scores would also be 90, and the two tests would have equal weight.

I have been loose with the terms "range", "standard deviation" and "dispersion" here. Range and standard deviation are both measures of dispersion. Equalizing standard deviation is what is important for equalizing weight, but range is easier for most people to visualize.
Year72019

Post by Year72019 »

Does anyone know how many applied to Latymer for 2018 entry? I think there are 340 applications for 2019.
llhj

Post by llhj »

I’m sure there must be more than that?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The Enfield secondary transfer info booklet tells one how many were offered as of March 1st 2018, for September 2018 entry, plus how many applications were declined. For pretty much every school - except Latymer, for which the info is that applicants up to rank 266 were successful. Which tells one that 74 out of the first 266 didn't put Latymer on their CAF above any other school for which they qualified (or on their CAF at all, possibly, unless the ranking is not overall of candidates, but refers to the ranking of actual applicants), but nothing about how many applied in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
llhj

Post by llhj »

But Latymer has all the candidates out of catchment don’t they? So surely they went much further up the ranks than 266?
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

llhj wrote:But Latymer has all the candidates out of catchment don’t they? So surely they went much further up the ranks than 266?
Not in round one offers. Read it for yourself on page 67:
https://new.enfield.gov.uk/services/chi ... ildren.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
Year72019

Post by Year72019 »

llhj wrote:But Latymer has all the candidates out of catchment don’t they? So surely they went much further up the ranks than 266?
Not sure what this means, I thought Latymer admitted catchment only candidates?