Latymer results

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

exam2019

Re: Latymer results

Post by exam2019 »

Claremum wrote:
ilelo wrote: Claremum what page on the admissions policy is this on please? I've read the pdf file on their website. Page 2, from the section headed "Testing Procedure" to the link to GL website in blue. I can't find what you have copied below. Thanks
I read it here:
https://www.latymer.co.uk/admissions/ye ... cument.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's on top of the second page, under Results for the top 650
That link is the consultation document. the final version was similar but slightly different wording here:
https://www.latymer.co.uk/user/pages/09 ... ements.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

page 2 under Testing Procedure heading:
"The Verbal Reasoning and Mathematics papers will be marked first. These results will be combined to give an age standardised result for each applicant in rank order (rank 1 being the highest position)."
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Thanks but that's the consultation paper not the determined admission arrangements.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

exam2019 wrote:
Claremum wrote:
ilelo wrote: Claremum what page on the admissions policy is this on please? I've read the pdf file on their website. Page 2, from the section headed "Testing Procedure" to the link to GL website in blue. I can't find what you have copied below. Thanks
I read it here:
https://www.latymer.co.uk/admissions/ye ... cument.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's on top of the second page, under Results for the top 650
That link is the consultation document. the final version was similar but slightly different wording here:
https://www.latymer.co.uk/user/pages/09 ... ements.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

page 2 under Testing Procedure heading:
"The Verbal Reasoning and Mathematics papers will be marked first. These results will be combined to give an age standardised result for each applicant in rank order (rank 1 being the highest position)."
I'm referring to the same document as you. It then goes on to the part I copied earlier. There's no mention of re-standardisation. If the VR and Maths are combined to rank the 1st 650, the 2 results in the other post should not be lower than my DDs. Except it was re-standardised though should not have been.

I'll check with the school, I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something in the admissions document.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Just to update if anyone else wanted to know. Results were re-standardised (though shouldn't have been) but probably makes no difference to the original ranking ... reply from the school below.

The original standardisation for Maths and VR was applied to all 2255 candidates who sat the tests, taking into account varying age ranges.

The re-standardisation for the top 650 cohort is a much smaller group, so there are always changes.
Shell2

Post by Shell2 »

Hi,

Does anyone know the number of OOC children ranked in the top 650 students?
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi ileilo!

Whatever the published rules formally state, mathematical logic - and common sense - dictate that the Results actually schould be re-standardised, shouldn't they?

So Latymer is ending up being fair, right?
expat

Post by expat »

Neither logic nor common sense dictate anything here. The actual issue is how much the school wants to weight the Math and VR in the final ranking.

The mathematical effect of re-standardization is to change the relative weights given to the Math and VR compared with the English test. If all three tests are standardized to the 650, then the three tests will have equal weight in the final ranking. If the Math and VR were not re-standardized to the 650, then they would have had much less weight compared with the English test. Which method yields the "better" ranking is a preference.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

In the past, Latymer has weighted different papers differently. This was at Stage 1 and Stage 2, if I recall correctly.

For me, restandardisation is essential. Personally, I would then consider giving Language 50% and Maths 50%. One way would then be: VR 25%, Maths 50% and English 25% as weightings on the restandardised scores.
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

Jean.Brodie wrote:Hi ileilo!

Whatever the published rules formally state, mathematical logic - and common sense - dictate that the Results actually schould be re-standardised, shouldn't they?

So Latymer is ending up being fair, right?
No point having Published Rules if Common Sense is applied instead. Common Sense isn't always common. Perhaps it is and that's why it only made the consultation papers and not the final rules. Whatever.

I've never pretended to understand standardisation but like I said in my previous post, it makes no difference to the rankings. (And I don't care any more).

Though, they should be following their published rules not common sense.
exam2019

Post by exam2019 »

I’m not understanding the subtleties of this.
The word “re-standardised” is not mentioned for the top 650 in the admissions arrangements. However the top650 process mentions combined age standardised scores for maths plus English papers. I’m thinking that those could mean the same thing while Ilelo seems to think they mean very different things - Can anyone explain it to me?! What am I missing?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now