QE boys test results arriving today. Please post here

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Linat

Re: QE boys test results arriving today. Please post here

Post by Linat »

QE is my DSs first choice - awaiting results for DAO and Latymer. He scored 230 and is late July born. I was intending to put QE as 1st choice on our CAF form, with a view to going on the waiting list as he may well be under the minimum score for 1st March.

We prepared for the exams by working consistently, but he still attended his sports/ scouts/ holidays etc. I am wondering whether, given some of the very high scores reported here and in the links to previous years, a score of 230 means you will struggle to keep up with the work at the school.

My DS has always been top of his class and a very kind, confident, hopefully well rounded boy. I would hate for him to take a place at the school if that means he will struggle to keep up and loses his confidence. We don’t know any current pupils at the school. Does anyone know if there is any correlation between entrance test scores and how you cope with the work?

Would rather put DAO as 1st choice if that is better suited to his talents. DAO currently his 2nd preference. Any info on this gratefully received.
htm

Post by htm »

vita wrote:Just a stupid question... Does anybody have an idea what are total marks for QE exams.
For this year, 140 is max standardised score in Maths & English each, for a total of 280 max.

KWY reported maximum score of 280 for his son. As far as I can dig, there has been no one (except KWY's son this year) who has attained the maximum score (280 or 282) since 2013.
better to be moderate, than be moderated
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

Linat wrote:QE is my DSs first choice - awaiting results for DAO and Latymer. He scored 230 and is late July born. I was intending to put QE as 1st choice on our CAF form, with a view to going on the waiting list as he may well be under the minimum score for 1st March.

We prepared for the exams by working consistently, but he still attended his sports/ scouts/ holidays etc. I am wondering whether, given some of the very high scores reported here and in the links to previous years, a score of 230 means you will struggle to keep up with the work at the school.

My DS has always been top of his class and a very kind, confident, hopefully well rounded boy. I would hate for him to take a place at the school if that means he will struggle to keep up and loses his confidence. We don’t know any current pupils at the school. Does anyone know if there is any correlation between entrance test scores and how you cope with the work?

Would rather put DAO as 1st choice if that is better suited to his talents. DAO currently his 2nd preference. Any info on this gratefully received.
My first son passed on 248 and really, really struggled with his time through QE. He turned it around when it came to the final GCSES but that was because we found subject specific tutors for him in all but one of his subjects.

I would recommend that you continue with any current workload to help bring him up to speed for the first year. It was shocking how hard some of the academic boys were working.

HTH
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

11nuts wrote:
Linat wrote:QE is my DSs first choice - awaiting results for DAO and Latymer. He scored 230 and is late July born. I was intending to put QE as 1st choice on our CAF form, with a view to going on the waiting list as he may well be under the minimum score for 1st March.

My first son passed on 248 and really, really struggled with his time through QE. He turned it around when it came to the final GCSES but that was because we found subject specific tutors for him in all but one of his subjects.

I would recommend that you continue with any current workload to help bring him up to speed for the first year. It was shocking how hard some of the academic boys were working.

HTH
Blimey, is the teaching at QE so abysmal, then?

:shock:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Congratulations on your score.

If QE add the 12 spaces you might well not be on the waiting list at all.

If QE is your first choice put it first. There are lots of very able students in both schools and I am sure your ds will work hard and do well.

I am impressed to hear that the sets are reviewed every half term which gives those a chance for those who have made good progress to move up and those who need more help to get access to it.

A handful of marks is not going to make the students ranking above your ds more able. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

I think that is a very good question Linat. It would not be possible to acquire accurate data regarding the level of 11 plus tutoring and prep in correlation to progress at school, since a lot of people are very cagey about how much they prepare their dc. However it is true that some dc do struggle if they have been over tutored and this is where parental intelligence and intuition ought to come into play. If you see your dc having to work incredibly hard in order to get through the exams then is that school for them?

It is vital to keep other hobbies and interests going and not to allow the 11 plus to eclipse everything else. It puts terrible pressure on the children and some parents become unhealthily obsessed to the detriment of all else. It sounds like you have ensured your ds has maintained a balance of activities which is how it should be. if he scored 230 without a hard slog then that is a better indicator- IMO- of his ability than a dc who has scored higher but with twice weekly tutoring/past papers every day/kumon/tutor groups etc.

In my opinion DAO and Latymer offer a more relaxed and less intensely academic ethos - so depending on your ds's other results, you will need to think about your CAF order very carefully.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Wow, tutors on top of schooling? I know of a few girls at our local grammar who had tutors in a couple of subjects which was surprising enough but in all but one of them? Why do people work so hard to gain a place at QE if they need tutors to supplement the schooling? They're delivering the same GCSEs and A levels as everyone else, after all. Are they (the school) complacent or something?
piggys

Post by piggys »

11nuts wrote:

HTH
How hard was he prepped before hand 11nuts? did he ace it or did he get massive amounts of tutoring, if you don't mind me asking?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

If your DS got 230 by working hard to prepare for the exam, and enjoyed doing the work and achieving the score, then QE may well be the right place for him. If it was a battle from start to finish, culminating in a bonfire of Bond books on the evening of the exam, then maybe not.

But I wouldn't base your decision on the score in the test. It's not a good predictor of future success.

Good luck
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

If your DS got 230 by working hard to prepare for the exam, and enjoyed doing the work and achieving the score, then QE may well be the right place for him. If it was a battle from start to finish, culminating in a bonfire of Bond books on the evening of the exam, then maybe not.

But I wouldn't base your decision on the score in the test. It's not a good predictor of future success.

Good luck