Any DS travelling from St Albans to QE?

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Re: Any DS travelling from St Albans to QE?

Post by loobylou »

I don't think St Albans to Barnet is too bad, particularly if as was mentioned higher up the thread, one lives relatively close to the station.
The 84 bus is direct from St Albans to Barnet as well (as also mentioned earlier). It's slow but there are no changes required.
There are plenty of children from Barnet going to St Albans's schools.
11plusmommy

Post by 11plusmommy »

Thank you all so much. That puts my mind to rest. @DAAN : I was wondering if 614 bus from Hatfield is reliable? Does it usually arrive on time? I work in London and leave around 7:30 in the morning.. I am also considering dropping DS at school and parking the car near the Barnet station and taking tube from there, which will bring down my ticket cost as well.Glad to know there are plenty of options on the table. Taxi share from St Albans might also work, if I could find few more parents who are interested as it will be Max £20 one way and if 4 ppl can join, will be £10 per day. The only problem might be the after school activities as Toadmum mentioned. Thank you all again for your time.
DAAN

Post by DAAN »

11plusmommy wrote:Thank you all so much. That puts my mind to rest. @DAAN : I was wondering if 614 bus from Hatfield is reliable? Does it usually arrive on time? I work in London and leave around 7:30 in the morning.. I am also considering dropping DS at school and parking the car near the Barnet station and taking tube from there, which will bring down my ticket cost as well.Glad to know there are plenty of options on the table. Taxi share from St Albans might also work, if I could find few more parents who are interested as it will be Max £20 one way and if 4 ppl can join, will be £10 per day. The only problem might be the after school activities as Toadmum mentioned. Thank you all again for your time.
very,my Ds uses it every day, has been late once (Y7)- A1 accident, it usually run to 1- 2 mins late but makes up on motorway
he catches 7.46am bus from dehavilland gets to school b4 8.20am
when he has swimming he catches 6.52am gets to school b4 7.18am for 7.30am start
Amber

Post by Amber »

fiate2000 wrote:I know of 5 DS from St Albans who go to QEB including 2 of my DS.
loobylou wrote:There are plenty of children from Barnet going to St Albans's schools.
This is where school choice leads us. :?
piggys

Post by piggys »

11plusmommy wrote: I am also considering dropping DS at school and parking the car near the Barnet station and taking tube from there.
I can tell you that every single road anywhere near Barnet tube is CPZed up to the eyeballs so I can't think how that would work. Which roads were you thinking of?
Hera

Post by Hera »

You used to able able to park around the hospital, Bells Hill, but I am sure that has probably changed?

The bus route from St Albans sounds fantastic. My DD is just under 3 miles door to door from her school. Google maps journey planner says it's 15 mins on the bus and 25 door to door. On a good day it takes on average 45 minutes door to door. And there have been quite a few times that she has given up and either walked or been rescued!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

+1.

You can't even find parking in Potters Bar, let alone Barnet. The Potters Bar station car park is very hard to find a place in anytime of the day and there is no parking in the roads around.

I know several students who get the 614 from Hatfield every day and it is very reliable.

I would recommend that option. It also means he will make local friends and be able to come and go freely when in sixth form. There are very good regular buses from Hatfield to St Albans. DG
fiate2000

Post by fiate2000 »

Amber wrote:
fiate2000 wrote:I know of 5 DS from St Albans who go to QEB including 2 of my DS.
loobylou wrote:There are plenty of children from Barnet going to St Albans's schools.
This is where school choice leads us. :?
The preference between indy (St Albans) and grammar (Barnet) schools is the primary cause for the cross traffic.
fiate2000

Post by fiate2000 »

11plusmommy wrote:I am also considering dropping DS at school and parking the car near the Barnet station and taking tube from there, which will bring down my ticket cost as well.
There are streets around QEB where you will be able to park the car and walk /take a bus to High Barnet. In the rush hour, both options will take around 20min. High Barnet being a terminal station, you will also get a sit on the tube. I do that when I have a meeting in London.
11PlusPrep

Post by 11PlusPrep »

11plusmommy wrote:Thank you all so much. That puts my mind to rest. @DAAN : I was wondering if 614 bus from Hatfield is reliable? Does it usually arrive on time? I work in London and leave around 7:30 in the morning.. I am also considering dropping DS at school and parking the car near the Barnet station and taking tube from there, which will bring down my ticket cost as well.Glad to know there are plenty of options on the table. Taxi share from St Albans might also work, if I could find few more parents who are interested as it will be Max £20 one way and if 4 ppl can join, will be £10 per day. The only problem might be the after school activities as Toadmum mentioned. Thank you all again for your time.
Hello 11plusmommy, I just created this account and logged in to ask the same question which you already seem to have asked as soon as the results came :) Our DS is likely going to get into QE as well and we would be open for taxi share / car pool option. The 614 bus option sounds like a great option as well.

Could you please send a PM, it would be good to connect to someone locally whose child would be going to QE irrespective of whether we could make the logistics work.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now