Second Round Latymer results now out October 2018

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kipperfish

Re: Second Round Latymer results now out October 2018

Post by Kipperfish »

I think it all depends on how many OC children are in top 300 (or 350 for us). If it is 100ish, your DC will get a place, and we might. Although that would only make sense if the English wasn't marked last year for OCs. Can anyone help on this?
AIdrees

Post by AIdrees »

My dd received the letter stating she had ranked between 1 and 192 so we are thrilled.
Now waiting to hear back from DAO and HBS!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Kipperfish wrote:I think it all depends on how many OC children are in top 300 (or 350 for us). If it is 100ish, your DC will get a place, and we might. Although that would only make sense if the English wasn't marked last year for OCs. Can anyone help on this?

Last year, there was an actual round two exam, rather than candidates sitting all papers on one day but only the top 650 in two of them getting the third marked.

Despite the school's best efforts not to adhere to its own published examination procedure, OOC candidates qualifying for the round 2 exam did eventually get an invitation to sit it.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kipperfish

Post by Kipperfish »

ToadMum wrote:
Kipperfish wrote:I think it all depends on how many OC children are in top 300 (or 350 for us). If it is 100ish, your DC will get a place, and we might. Although that would only make sense if the English wasn't marked last year for OCs. Can anyone help on this?

Last year, there was an actual round two exam, rather than candidates sitting all papers on one day but only the top 650 in two of them getting the third marked.

Despite the school's best efforts not to adhere to its own published examination procedure, OOC candidates qualifying for the round 2 exam did eventually get an invitation to sit it.
Thanks for this. But from looking at the numbers it might be that the OOCs didn't get ranked even though they were able to sit the 2nd round, as offers only went to rank 266 on offers day (which is what you would expect without the OOC children). Maybe I'm being hopeful, and perhaps not many OOC sat last year, but does anyone know anymore on this?
Claremum

Post by Claremum »

Kipperfish wrote: Thanks for this. But from looking at the numbers it might be that the OOCs didn't get ranked even though they were able to sit the 2nd round, as offers only went to rank 266 on offers day (which is what you would expect without the OOC children). Maybe I'm being hopeful, and perhaps not many OOC sat last year, but does anyone know anymore on this?
I agree. There were lots of OOCs last year because the exam was very early, on 15th July. It might have been 120 in top 450 if I remember correctly. I do think that final rank 266 didn't include those OOC. (Maybe that ranking was for candidates who were in the area by 15th January?) So if your rank this year is around 300, there is a good chance, because it still includes all OOC. Knowing your rank might help candidates from out of the area decide whether they want to move.
Sez

Post by Sez »

My son got ranked 322. We’re OOC but not by much and would be prepared to move. However, he got a score that should be good enough to secure a place at Ilford County which is our 1st choice so I don’t think we will proceed with a move. Other people may well be in the same situation if that helps your decision StowMum :D
Samipea

Post by Samipea »

Ah drat. Seems the Latymer bus is also full for my little minipea to hop on as we wave it on with his spot on rank 501. We will continue to skip along in the sunshine and see if the DAO bus pulls over for him next week otherwise we will gladly board bus number 4 on which he has a reserved seat next to his big brother. All the buses are going the same direction to the same destination remember folks :). I do hope some of the boys who didn’t get QE were successful today x
Claremum

Post by Claremum »

StowMum wrote:
Also, if we put Latymer 1st of the CAF and he gets on the wait list, will he get a definite place at Ilford as he has scored high enough?

Advise would be appreciated.

StowMum
Yes, if he gets on the waiting list for his first choice, he'll get a definite place for his next choice (i.e. Ilford in your case).
StowMum

Post by StowMum »

Sez wrote:My son got ranked 322. We’re OOC but not by much and would be prepared to move. However, he got a score that should be good enough to secure a place at Ilford County which is our 1st choice so I don’t think we will proceed with a move. Other people may well be in the same situation if that helps your decision StowMum :D
Thank you Sez! I have emailed the school asking how many OOC are in the top 300. Hopefully they will be kind and give the number :)
StowMum

Post by StowMum »

Claremum wrote:
StowMum wrote:
Also, if we put Latymer 1st of the CAF and he gets on the wait list, will he get a definite place at Ilford as he has scored high enough?

Advise would be appreciated.

StowMum
Yes, if he gets on the waiting list for his first choice, he'll get a definite place for his next choice (i.e. Ilford in your case).
Thank you Claremum for confirming. This is what I thought but wasn't 100% sure. That sorts out the CAF form for me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now