Tutors & Qe

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: Tutors & Qe

Post by Amber »

ritz667 wrote:That's why there are selective schools.

To enable the more academically bright to be taught in a environment where their full potential is realised, than to be kept in a class with mixed abilities where no one wins.
There is so much in that short post to contest that I shall keep it very quick or will be here all day.

'The more academically bright' does not correlate with those who end up at these schools. That would be 'those with the most cultural capital'.

'to be taught in a (sic) environment where their full potential is realised' - there is no evidence whatsoever that being taught in this environment leads to their 'full potential', whatever that is, being realised. All pedagogical research from across the world suggests actually that this is not the case.

'to be kept in a class with mixed abilities where no one wins'. In fact the evidence suggests that everyone 'wins' in such scenarios if they are properly implemented and governed. They just don't 'win' at the expense of others.

This is going off thread; my point was the same as that of others - that good teaching is categorically not what leads to schools which are massively selective on what you would call 'ability' and what I would call 'cultural capital' being at the top of exam league tables.
peartree

Post by peartree »

This is going of topic

you can have whatever research you want,

But If push comes to shove if a child gets a place at a selective school such as QE, Latymer or Henrietta etc most parents will choose these schools over a state school

and if money wasnt an issue they would choose Habs, Merchant Taylors, Westminister etc over a state school.

The question is why ?

Applecart
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

peartree wrote:This is going of topic

But If push comes to shove if a child gets a place at a selective school such as QE, Latymer or Henrietta etc most parents will choose these schools over a state school

and if money wasnt an issue they would choose Habs, Merchant Taylors, Westminister etc over a state school.

The question is why ?

Applecart
QE, Latymer and HBS are state schools.

The answer to your question is that people perceive an advantage in doing so.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

peartree wrote:This is going of topic

The question is why ?

Applecart
I don't think it's true that "most parents" would choose an indie over a state school if money want an issue. I can't think of anything that would have made me personally choose an indie for either of my children.
peartree

Post by peartree »

Why would parents "perceive" them to be better, is it because of the better results, facilities and less disruption in teachers perhaps

If money wasn't a problem I would definitely send them private
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

peartree wrote:Why would parents "perceive" them to be better, is it because of the better results, facilities and less disruption in teachers perhaps
I can only judge on what I perceive to be the prevailing attitude on this forum when it comes to QE, which is that it's all about results, results, league tables and results. I don't think facilities or teaching come into it. It can't be teaching, else why would there be a thread discussing the existence of private tutoring to support boys at QE?

It seems to me that many parents choose schools solely on their league table position and percentages to do with GCSE and A level results. Suitability, facilities, ease of journey, etc seem to be peripheral considerations. It's all about the league table and the (parental) kudos that is gained from sending one's son there.
Amber

Post by Amber »

peartree wrote:Why would parents "perceive" them to be better, is it because of the better results, facilities and less disruption in teachers perhaps

anotherdad wrote: It's all about the league table and the (parental) kudos that is gained from sending one's son there.
+1

Oh, and the percentage getting into Oxbridge, I think that comes into it too.

I wonder how widely views which play out on this forum are seen in the BWW (Big Wide World) though. Almost every week someone on here says they won't send a child to 'state school', forgetting that grammar schools are state schools (same curriculum, same exams etc); and the myth that somehow private schools have de facto got access to better teachers (rather than flashier facilities, which is often the main distinguishing factor; or small classes, which have been proven time and time again not to improve results and at A level may be an actual disadvantage) also keeps being repeated. Many of us would run a mile from some of the fancy schools mentioned on here, even if we had spare millions. There is so much misinformation around and I wonder sometimes where it all comes from. I tell you what, the Grammar School Marketing Board could offer the beleaguered government some advice on PR right now!
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

anotherdad wrote:I can only judge on what I perceive to be the prevailing attitude on this forum when it comes to QE, which is that it's all about results, results, league tables and results.
Yes there are parents who focus narrowly on the league table position. Living in N. London I know many families like this - typically 1st generation immigrants who are desperate for their child to get what they believe to be the best possible education.

anotherdad wrote:It can't be teaching, else why would there be a thread discussing the existence of private tutoring to support boys at QE?
There's one QE parent talking about how much external support their DS needed, and many more saying that they don't recognise that scenario.

I'm sure there's more than 1 boy at QE who is being tutored, but the practice is not endemic. And I'm not suggesting that QE has better teachers - just that most of us are happy with the teaching, most of the time.

Amber wrote:I tell you what, the Grammar School Marketing Board could offer the beleaguered government some advice on PR right now!
Gerald Ratner could offer the beleaguered government some advice on PR right now!
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

Amber wrote:

anotherdad wrote: It's all about the league table and the (parental) kudos that is gained from sending one's son there.
+1

Oh, and the percentage getting into Oxbridge, I think that comes into it too.

I wonder how widely views which play out on this forum are seen in the BWW (Big Wide World) though. Almost every week someone on here says they won't send a child to 'state school', forgetting that grammar schools are state schools (same curriculum, same exams etc); and the myth that somehow private schools have de facto got access to better teachers (rather than flashier facilities, which is often the main distinguishing factor; or small classes, which have been proven time and time again not to improve results and at A level may be an actual disadvantage) also keeps being repeated. Many of us would run a mile from some of the fancy schools mentioned on here, even if we had spare millions. There is so much misinformation around and I wonder sometimes where it all comes from. I tell you what, the Grammar School Marketing Board could offer the beleaguered government some advice on PR right now!
My DD has mentioned in passing that their year (year 7) has had a few substitute teachers already. I know its only anecdotal evidence from 1 school, but maybe it kind of generates Chinese whispers, giving parent's with money to spare, another reason to look down on the state system?
AML

Post by AML »

A little bit off topic but relevant to QE. QE invited the heads from my son's prep school to come and see the school and have a chat - first time ever this has happened. Wondered what this new move is about? It's very common among Indies to do this but not known of state schools to try to forge links (prep school not even close to Barnet).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now