QE Parents Feedback

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

StressedUnicorn

QE Parents Feedback

Post by StressedUnicorn »

Weighing up all school options for DS and keep coming across conflicting reviews of QE! I know no school is perfect but really wanted some honest feedback from parents of boys who are currently at QE or have experience of the school. This school is one of the best in the country yet it generates a marmite like response - you either love it or hate it! Hoping go get some honest and positive feedback on what the school does well. I know about the cull and we’d move DS if we had to (assuming it wouldn’t be hard after 5 years at QE).

Thanks in advance!

SU
mitasol

Re: QE Parents Feedback

Post by mitasol »

Feedback from QE Parents only please
Qeb2019

Post by Qeb2019 »

We have same problem. My son loves Qe boy so much, this morning I tried to persuade him to go to Latymer which is a lot near us, he agreed but nearly cry saying he had been working so hard for it last summer. We don’t really mind about the cull as well, because we happy to move if we not good enough.

Any Qe boys from Enfield here?

Regards
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Qeb2019 wrote:We have same problem. My son loves Qe boy so much, this morning I tried to persuade him to go to Latymer which is a lot near us, he agreed but nearly cry saying he had been working so hard for it last summer. We don’t really mind about the cull as well, because we happy to move if we not good enough.

Regards
Sorry not a qe parent but I know there are boys traveling from Enfield. The 307 is an easy bus and goes direct from Enfield to Barnet Hospital which is a very short walk from the school. It's one of the easier commutes we hear of on here!
Qeb2019

Post by Qeb2019 »

loobylou wrote:
Qeb2019 wrote:We have same problem. My son loves Qe boy so much, this morning I tried to persuade him to go to Latymer which is a lot near us, he agreed but nearly cry saying he had been working so hard for it last summer. We don’t really mind about the cull as well, because we happy to move if we not good enough.

Regards
Sorry not a qe parent but I know there are boys traveling from Enfield. The 307 is an easy bus and goes direct from Enfield to Barnet Hospital which is a very short walk from the school. It's one of the easier commutes we hear of on here!
Thank you very much for quick response loobylou. From my house it take 15 minutes walk to 307 and 60 minutes more to go to Qeboy. Latymer is 30 minutes bus traight from home. However it is only 30 minutes drive.

One more corncen is our son from a poor neighbourhood and goes to very normal primary school can he fit into total different environment like Qeboy? At the moment he just loves to play rugby in a big open field.
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

Qeb2019 wrote:
loobylou wrote:

Regards
Thank you very much for quick response loobylou. From my house it take 15 minutes walk to 307 and 60 minutes more to go to Qeboy. Latymer is 30 minutes bus traight from home. However it is only 30 minutes drive.

One more corncen is our son from a poor neighbourhood and goes to very normal primary school can he fit into total different environment like Qeboy? At the moment he just loves to play rugby in a big open field.
Qeb2019, I don't have a DS at QE but grew up in its vicinity, I can assure you that all the boys are from "normal" primary schools, as the selection is 100% on academic ability.

At the open morning, and on the website, it is reiterated that QE is a meritocracy.

I have heard that they ask for a parental "voluntary" financial contribution.

If he loves playing rugby in a big field, that's a plus - QE have two big fields - one for rugby, one for cricket.

How did he feel at the open day and the tour, could he see himself fitting in there? It's important that DC feel comfortable with the choices we make.

Best of luck with your decision.
ritz667

Post by ritz667 »

Choose the school

You will not have any regrets, my ds has just entered uni life graduating from the school.

He firmly believes the opportunities given to him by the school are second to none and prepared him for Uni life,
and he isn't aware of many boys in his peer group that really didn't enjoy the school.
thisisnuts

Post by thisisnuts »

1) QE has children from all backgrounds - from those living in council flats to others whose parents could afford to send them to private school.

2) There is a vast array of extra-curricular activities. Sport is important - especially if your DS is in the squad. But it's not like some independent boys' schools where everyone is expected to attend Saturday training sessions.

3) Yes, the school asks for a parental contribution - and the headmaster goes further than he should in wanting to know why certain families can't/won't contribute. But you don't have to, and are no consequences for your DS if you don't.

4) Academically, it is quite fast paced. Most boys do fine - and most parents over-react if their previously top-of-the-class DS finds himself in set 2 or 3! For those who might be struggling, every subject has a lunchtime drop-in session run by a teacher - but I don't know how many boys take advantage of this?

5) As the school reiterates every year, even the lowest sets are expected to get A or A* ("7 or 8") at GCSE (the new "9" is meant to be much harder to achieve).

6) We were very strongly advised at the year 9 parent's briefing that DS should go for a wide spread of GCSEs. And thinking ahead to A Level, they recommend boys go with their strongest subjects in order to get the best possible grades.

7) On the topic of "strongest" subjects - A' Level subject offers are based on internal testing through year 10 and the first half of year 11. We haven't been through this yet, so so perhaps someone with an older DS could comment on whether the process is as transparent as the school claims.

To be honest, I don't think any of this justifies the extra 1-2 hours per day of travel time if you have Latymer as an option. But I understand point of view of a boy who spent the summer working hard towards the exam.
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

DS has just started. We had a choice between QEB and DAO. There were many things that were in DAO favour - more drama opportunities, co-ed, sibling but QE was closer and this was the final criteria. We don't regret it for a minute - he's had a fantastic start. And my WhatsApp feed is full of messages about difficulties about picking up after sports and arranging private coaches, etc.
They get quite a bit of homework - not a problem for DS who's home in 20 mins. Would hate for him to take 90 mins to get home and then do a couple of hours work.
OP, you're the one who has to run the family, not him. You must do what's best for family as a whole.
11nuts

Post by 11nuts »

6th form QE parent here.

QE works well if it is an easy commute. Not so much otherwise due to the amount of h/w and activities.

There is parental contribution to be made and there is pressure to do so I am afraid.

However as I have found out you either fly at QE or you end up looking for a local college at the cull.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now