11plus curriculum

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kid2019

11plus curriculum

Post by kid2019 »

Hello

I am all new to this forum and with very little knowledge about 11plus exams.
My daughter is in year 5 and would like to go for 11plus exams. I live in Enfield the nearest for me is Latymer.
Can someone please guide me with the following
1. Curriculum/ topics I need to cover in maths
2. the best publishers for practise
3. best tuition centres near by
4. Latymer school does GL assessment right? Maths, English and verbal reasoning???
5. How do I apply for entrance exam? When does school start giving out forms for exam ?
6.How do I apply for the council 11plus exams? when are they usually held?

Thanks in advance
Horizon

Re: 11plus curriculum

Post by Horizon »

1. You can check maths curriculum for year 5 here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... s-of-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2. Anything suitable for GL maths and Vr exam. There is a huge variety of resources and publishers, it is impossible to name them all. A good starting point would be the forum shop:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/Hertfordshire/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4. Latymer does GL Maths and VR; they write their own papers for English comprehension and writing.
5. You fill an online application form which will be available on the Latymer School website around June and July. Don’t miss the window for registration because registration is open for a short time (around a month) and there is nothing you can do if you miss it.
6. There are no 11 plus exams held by the council. Each school makes their own individual arrangements which you need to check at the school’s website. You only submit the CAF form to the council to apply for secondary school places but that is after you have sat 11 plus tests for grammars - the deadline for that will be end of October of the year when your child is in year 6.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello. Welcome.

Latymer is covered in the Hertfordshire & North London region.

If you search on Latymer in that thread you will find lots of posts.

I would get started on VR and Maths as that is the first round and your English papers will not be marked unless your dd is in the top 650 ranks after the VR and Maths are marked.

There is lots of material in the forum shop. Look for GL VR and Maths and the forum papers which are First Past the Post are in the GL format.

There are lots of 10 minutes test books that are good to start with and easy to carry around. Look for CGP and Bond.

Little and often is the best policy. At this time of year lots of parents post their study strategy which is very useful to read and get ideas from.

There is a sample paper for the English on the Latymer website but I would advise focus on VR and Maths to start with.

Over two thousand sat this year and only 650 go through to the second round and have their English paper marked.

If your daughter enjoys learning she will like the 10 minute books and soon start to progress. DG
kid2019

Post by kid2019 »

thanks for the advice, really appreciate it..
One thing I am still confused about is the exam..11plus exam
Is there just one exam? I mean 11plus exam will be conducted by schools?
If I want my daughter to write 11plus exam for Latymer and Henrietta Barnet then does she have to write 2 entrance exams for 2 schools or anything else?
and if it is held by school then how does area come in preference..I mean if I am writing test for Latymer then how does it get area specific...there has to be council or education system involved in these exams...isn't it??
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You apply through your borough or county.

You have one CAF form and apply for all the schools through that form.

But to sit the tests you need to apply directly to the school but applications will not open until May/June

Mods pls move this thread to Herts and North London as both the schools you are interested are covered in that region. DG
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Thread has been moved to to Herts and North London

Linda9227 Your thread has been moved here
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 30&t=56309" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;