HBS Round 2 Waiting Room

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Gee9876

Re: HBS Round 2 Waiting Room

Post by Gee9876 »

resrtr wrote:
Gee9876 wrote:
11plus2018 wrote:Creating this thread while we are waiting for HBS Round 2 result.... post if you have any update from the school...
Just out of interest, how many exams has your DD sat for?[/quot

In our part of London, parents put the kids through ATLEAST 6-8 exams. :(
Yes I can see that!
Feel sorry for the poor kids sitting these exams and also those that miss out on qualifying because children who have no real intention of going to a particular school are pushing them down the ranks!
Barnetmamma

Post by Barnetmamma »

Two exams done here: DAO and HBS. Didn’t bother beyond as logistically others were difficult to travel to and unlikely to take up even if fortunate enough to get in. The stress of rejection is difficult enough with one or two but can be soul destroying with more. Didn’t feel it was worth going through if we weren’t serious about the school.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I honestly don't think it's most parents.
I think it's very few but a higher proportion than normal on this forum.
Attending primary school in Barnet, my child sat 3 (all logical from a transport perspective) in Latymer, DAO and MHCHS. The only other one she could have sat would have been HBS but we didn't want single sex. A few sat all 4 (including either QE or HBS) which maybe sounds like a lot but realistically all those schools are within really easy reach; people who sit more than that are in the "we'd move house for any school" brigade and I honestly don't think they are as prevalent as it sometimes feels on here.
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

loobylou wrote:I honestly don't think it's most parents.
Attending primary school in Barnet, my child sat 3 (all logical from a transport perspective) in Latymer, DAO and MHCHS. The only other one she could have sat would have been HBS but we didn't want single sex. A few sat all 4 (including either QE or HBS) which maybe sounds like a lot but realistically all those schools are within really easy reach; people who sit more than that are in the "we'd move house for any school" brigade and I honestly don't think they are as prevalent as it sometimes feels on here.
In our neck of woods ' make my child write any exam I can find ' is the norm. People are willing to make their children travel to Kent, Dartford, Colchester- 6 years ago travelling to Barnet from east London was considered a bit too much , now that's the norm. Extra curricular clubs are considered as superfluous and league tables and Oxbridge drive the decision making process.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

resrtr wrote:
loobylou wrote:I honestly don't think it's most parents.
In our neck of woods ' make my child write any exam I can find ' is the norm. People are willing to make their children travel to Kent, Dartford, Colchester- 6 years ago travelling to Barnet from east London was considered a bit too much , now that's the norm. Extra curricular clubs are considered as superfluous and league tables and Oxbridge drive the decision making process.
:(
mad?

Post by mad? »

resrtr wrote:In our neck of woods ' make my child write any exam I can find ' is the norm. People are willing to make their children travel to Kent, Dartford, Colchester- 6 years ago travelling to Barnet from east London was considered a bit too much , now that's the norm. Extra curricular clubs are considered as superfluous and league tables and Oxbridge drive the decision making process.
Poor kids, heaven help them when they try to get a job :roll:
mad?
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

mad? wrote:
resrtr wrote:In our neck of woods ' make my child write any exam I can find ' is the norm. People are willing to make their children travel to Kent, Dartford, Colchester- 6 years ago travelling to Barnet from east London was considered a bit too much , now that's the norm. Extra curricular clubs are considered as superfluous and league tables and Oxbridge drive the decision making process.
As some one who tries to send the DC to schools which are convenient for us as a family than to ' the best ' school, I feel out of place. Hope I am doing the right thing
resrtr

Post by resrtr »

mad? wrote:
Let me.clarify, the kids are involved in extra curricular activities, but not the ones the school provides , obviously due to logistics
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now